Uno non-starter

Fiat Uno 1.0ie 93K

Have had problems with fuel starvation for the past few weeks. Engine poor to start and takes an age to settle down. Wife rang up and said car had cut out (slow loss of power with foot fully on accelerator). Tried to restart, engine turned over but would not kick, until she drained the battery. I took another battery down and tried to start it but although it was trying its heart out it only tried to start twice, and they were feeble attempts.

Towed it back home, removed throttle body and cleaned it thoroughly, checked all pipes - all seem okay with no visible cuts etc. Replaced throttle body, checked fuel flow into body (ok), tried to restart, engine just turned over as before. Dropped very small amount of petrol (about 6 drops) into chamber and turned key, engine kicked up and immediately cut out leaving small fire in throttle body chamber. Blew this out and, after lots of head scratching, turned key again - engine turned over but would not start. (Just for information I released radiator cap to check water and was surprised to find a small amount of pressure)

Any ideas would be helpful - TIA

-- Krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

Rough guess but it sounds as if the car isn't getting fuel.

Fuel pump fault? Injector fault?

Check that fuel is being delivered from the fuel pump.

There coolant system would have some pressure so no problem there.

scratching,

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Blocked fuel filter?

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Is there fuel in the tank? Is it fuel? (water?!) No- is pump running - yes- is there pressure at the injector (~1 bar) If pump running but no pressure- filter blocked or pickup fallen off. If pump not running, check pump relay, and fuse. Bridge for test purposes. If still no pump- check connections at pump. If power at pump yet not running, then pump has died.

If there is fuel pressure at the throttle body- apply 12v to the injector and see that it opens.

You have a simple fault which should be simply solved.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Maybe I should have been a wee bit clearer. Fuel is being delivered to the throttle body ok. Have had fuel pipe off - fuel flows fine when engine turned. So no Fuel pump fault and no Blocked fuel filter? As for the possible injector fault I swapped the complete throttle body for another one I had - no improvement (unless this injector is faulty as well).

and see that it opens.

How, I don't have any electrical testing equipment?

I couldn't agree more - but aren't they always the worst to solve!

Oh, and the missus is a decent pilot (belive it or not).

-- Krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

scratching,

Clamp the fuel return pipe to the tank, this will artificially raise the fuel pressure, if it starts and runs you have a better idea of what you are looking for. My first thought would be that there is diesel in the tank, had she just recently filled up?

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

fuel pressure, if it starts and runs you have a better idea of what you are looking for. My first thought would be that there is diesel in the tank, had she just recently filled up?

Although we do have a diesel Citroen as well as the Uno we hadn't put any fuel in it for over a week. I don't think that's the problem (though I don't know what is).

-- Krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

fuel pressure, if it starts and runs you have a better idea of what you are looking for.

Tried that - no joy.

-- Krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

Can we re-cap? You have a good spark at the plugs, fuel pump activity and good pressure and flow at the injector yes?

So it appears the injector is either broken, or the ecu is not switching it.

either apply 12v from the battery (ideally via a 5amp fuse) to the injector after disconnecting the multiplug. Does it click?

Or hook up a test lamp with the multiplug connected to see if the ecu is switching the injector.

The above will determine which is at fault.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

good pressure and flow at the injector yes?

Correct.

injector after disconnecting the multiplug. Does it click?

switching the injector.

Right - switched ignition on, connected clip to + on battery and with injector multiplug off applied other end to injector, nothing. Did same with injector multiplug connected and it *clicked* with the spring on the stepper motor jerking forward. (With ignition off nothing happened).

-- Krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

I dont think your doing this right.

Igntion to remain off at all times whilst the multiplug is disconnected. Using 2 leads connect the two pins for the injector on the throttle body itself multiplug to battery + and -. Does it click?

If no- injector is burnt out. If yes- ECU isnt switching injector. Injector is switched by ECU establishing an earth return. 12v should be present on one of the 2 pins in the "from car" multiplug for the injector with the ignition on as this comes from the main relay, along with the ECU power and o2 sensor heater and feeds to other engine actuators etc.

Come back to us after you have re checked the above.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

No click.

I connected the clip to the + on the battery and inserted the other end into the injector multiplug of which there are 4 pins. It lit up twice.

Sorry about the confusion but electrics are not my forte - all feeds and relays and returns. @*$@!?

As I pointed out in an earlier thread I have changed the throttle body and the problem has remained. ??

-- Krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

Right, either you have a wiring fault on either the 12v supply to the injector- which is probably rule-outable- as you say the stepper motor is active when the ignition is cycled on and off (supply comes from same place)

which leaves the earth return to the ecu and from there to the car body. Check this as best you can- especially corrosion/ bad connection at the ecu multiplug, and if that looks ok, the next step would probably be having the ecu tested by your local atp modem dealer. (£35)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Removed the multiplug from the ecu to find drops of water running from it. Even if this is not the fault it can't be doing it any good. Have removed ecu and put it near radiator to dry out. Will this be sufficient or should I unscrew starscrews and remove end to dry out? Water is in multiplug, have dried it with cloth but would it be okay to use a hairdrier on it? Refit it tomorrow - see what happens!

-- Krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

If you feel able to do so- open up the ECU and pop it in the airing cupboard to throughtly dry out naturally. If the gods are with you it might work, but cant hurt.

If it still appears dead, and you go to atp for a rebuild / test whatever, explain what has happened.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Had the ECU tested - no fault found. (Just as a matter of double checking somebody at work runs the same car, his ECU has the same part number so he allowed me to try his ECU on mine - no change). I've got to the point now where I'm scratching my head and I think I've used up everybody's knowledge (especially Tim's - thank you) so It's time to bite the bullet and pay to get it tested - but which one? A homestart guy (assuming he'll come to a car that won't start), or a Mobile Auto Electrician I've found in the Yellow Pages, but can't get hold of, who can test for Fuel Injection and ECU, and can provide a "Fault Finding Breakdown". (Fiat want £52 + vat just to test it).

Thanks to all

-- Krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

Have you checked that the cam timing is still correct? It might have slipped a few teeth.

If I couldn't find a fault then I would recommend the dealer rather than a home tune type.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful