92 Chevy Pickup won't start when warm (sometimes)

This problem is killing me!

(92 Chevy, 5-speed, V6, 103k miles, blue)

After I've been motoring for awhile (an hour or two) and then turn the engine off (to get gas, or instance), my truck will often not start. The starter will turn the engine but never a spark, nor a hint of a start. No misfires, no coughs, just the sound of the starter. And not always. When it is cold (from sitting overnight), it *always* starts.

At first, after a failure, I only had to wait a few minutes and then it would start 'normally'.

Well, it continued to get worse, often in very inconvenient locations.

OK, took it to the shop; they said low pressure from the fuel pump. So we replaced the fuel pump and things seemed to work well.

Wrong.

Got on the freeway, 200 miles from home, stopped to get gas... boom! No restart.

Had it towed to another mechanic. He looked it over and found a badly scarred rotor. OK, changed the rotor.

Things worked great for a few days. Then, went out to eat, came back and it wouldn't start. Waited 30 minutes. Wouldn't start. Waited an hour. Wouldn't start. Went to movie (2 hours) and came back. Started fine.

Also, I have a new (within 9 months) alternator and battery.

When they replaced the fuel pump, they installed a new one, as well as a new fuel filter.

Rotor replacement was also new.

Oh, and the cop who wanted to give me a ticket for being in the middle of the road (I was a full foot from the sidewalk) said his father had a 91 GMC Yukon(?) which had exactly the same problem. His father brought it in many times, and they always replaced something different but never fixed the problem. But at least the cop gave me a shove off the road, and did not give me a ticket.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------ preface email addie with 'd' to defeat anti-spaminator

Reply to
djarvinen

I remember reading a while back that the ignition modules sometimes go bad on the 4300's. What you describe is typical of _other_ GM ign.modules going bad, like on the 3100's to 3800's.

Reply to
« Paul »

Have you checked the coolant temp sensor? Sounds like it might be out of range.

KM

Reply to
Kobus Mostert

And somewhere around the time of 02/15/2004 11:28, the world stopped and listened as « Paul » contributed the following to humanity:

TFI modules on Ford ECC-VI systems fail in similar ways. What is described sounds like an electronic part slowly dying.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Mechanics don't fix cars unless they develop symptoms. Why not build a tool to find the problem.

Let's say you have a distributor less system (DIS) ignition system with 1 modules and 4 coil packs. If so, then they're dangerous to check for sparks.

You will need LEDs, a 350-Ohm resistors, copper wires, a switch. When the car refuses to start, flip the switch, jump a wire, stand back and begin cranking.

Sorry, I will stop here leaving out major details since I don't have circuit drawings for your system. But it's good to know that you "can" build an inexpensive diagnostic tool.

-- Milo

Reply to
Indiån §ummer

((some snippage))

Followup Report:

And the winner is... (looks into envelope):

Ignition Module!

Thanks for the help, everyone.

------------------------------------------------------ preface email addie with 'd' to defeat anti-spaminator

Reply to
djarvinen

The Final Followup Report:

Got the new ignition module. Ran great.

Had a hole in the muffler so I fixed that on Monday morning, thinking "Finally, everything on my truck is running great!"

Monday afternoon, a guy failed to yield right-of-way (I was on a four lane, one-way main street approaching an intersection. No lights or stop signs on my street, it was just your ordinary type of major downtown four lane street with some smaller side streets left and right (with stop signs for the side streets).

The guy at the side street (left side) didn't see me, and blazed across the intersection right in front of me. I went into a four wheel locked brake slide, but not good enough. He never saw me until he looked up with very wide eyes while I was looking down through his passenger window at him (still skidding, by the way).

Bottom line: no major injuries (just your normal bumps and bruises); my '92 blue Chevy pickup is totaled, and his 2000 Acura don't look so good either.

Damn, I liked that truck.

DJ

------------------------------------------------------ preface email addie with 'd' to defeat anti-spaminator

Reply to
djarvinen

I am pleased to hear you were not severely injured!

KM

: > > (92 Chevy, 5-speed, V6, 103k miles, blue) : > >

: > > After I've been motoring for awhile (an hour or two) and then turn the : > > engine off (to get gas, or instance), my truck will often not start. : > > The starter will turn the engine but never a spark, nor a hint of a : > > start. No misfires, no coughs, just the sound of the starter. And : > > not always. When it is cold (from sitting overnight), it

*always* : > > starts. : >

: > ((some snippage)) : >

: > Followup Report: : >

: > And the winner is... (looks into envelope): : >

: > Ignition Module! : >

: > Thanks for the help, everyone. : : : The Final Followup Report: : : Got the new ignition module. Ran great. : : Had a hole in the muffler so I fixed that on Monday morning, thinking : "Finally, everything on my truck is running great!" : : Monday afternoon, a guy failed to yield right-of-way (I was on a four : lane, one-way main street approaching an intersection. No lights or : stop signs on my street, it was just your ordinary type of major : downtown four lane street with some smaller side streets left and : right (with stop signs for the side streets). : : The guy at the side street (left side) didn't see me, and blazed : across the intersection right in front of me. I went into a four : wheel locked brake slide, but not good enough. He never saw me until : he looked up with very wide eyes while I was looking down through his : passenger window at him (still skidding, by the way). : : Bottom line: no major injuries (just your normal bumps and bruises); : my '92 blue Chevy pickup is totaled, and his 2000 Acura don't look so : good either. : : Damn, I liked that truck. : : : DJ : ------------------------------------------------------ : preface email addie with 'd' to defeat anti-spaminator

Reply to
Kobus Mostert

Thank you. We were very fortunate as was the driver of the other car.