AW-71 OD help

I've been getting horrible gas mileage since I bought the car a few month ago, averaging 13-15mpg. Car is fully tuned, new ECT, all fluids changed, etc and nothings changed. My last tank which was virtually all highway resulted in 16.5 mpg. While cruising on the highway I noticed my OD switch doesn't work. According to my manual I should get an up arrow in the dash when its off and nothing when its on which should be the default setting. Pressing the button on and off nothing happens either with the arrow or with trans operation. As far as I can tell its set in the off position meaning its locked in 3 speed operation although theres no arrow on the dash. I'm not noticing a 4th gear shift which would partially explain the terrible gas mileage. At least on the highway. Any suggestions on how to check/repair it? The manual says it should be getting voltage constantly and the switch cuts off juice shutting off od. I'm thinking check for power at the switch. Is there a relay somewhere that may be bad? TIA

Dave

89 740T Wagon
Reply to
tom.dave

Check the relay and solenoid for correct operation and that the switch will switch the light on and off. Relays do fail due to overheating which causes dry joints inside the relay (similar to fuel pump relay).

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes