gas milage

99 max v6 auto 130000 miles. Only getting 16 mpg city 18 hwy. New plugs and air filter. Whats wrong?
Reply to
tony

More info please-- What were you getting when it was younger? What were you getting after our guv'mint mandated 10% ethanol in our gasoline? For all we know you may have a very heavy foot on the gas pedal. Maybe your ignition wiring is leaking electrons all over the place. How wore out is the engine? I.E., has the cylinder compression been checked?

Reply to
Anyolmouse

The city mileage is only a couple of MPG off for that model but the highway mileage should be about 10 MPG more. Is the transmission stuck in "OD Off"? Count the shifts & see if its getting into 4th gear.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I don't know what kind of mileage your '99 should get but if you point your browser to

you can see what my 2008 3.5 Maxima has got in over 33,000 miles. Almost none of that is city driving as I live in a very rural area that does not even have a spotlight in the county! Most of the mileage would have been on two lane highways except for the the long trips which would have been basically on interstates.

I find it interesting to note the difference between the mileage that the car says that I am getting and reality. Every vehicle that I have owned in the last 10 years has been off by about the same amount (approximately 3 percent).

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Reply to
tony

tony wrote the following:

You're probably already using it in your gas. Ethanol.

Reply to
willshak

Techron Fuel System Cleaner. Available at autoparts stores, Walmart, etc. Get the one with that exact name. Most others are snake oil -- but I've seen documented evidence from the field of Techron making a difference.

Reply to
me