Axle oil - Which type?

According to my 740 Haynes manual:

  • Rear axle without limited slip differential: Hypoid gear oil, Viscosity SAE 90 EP to API GL5 or GL6.
  • Rear axle with limited slip differential: Volvo oil (No. 1 161 276 -
9.)

The two questions I have are:

1) How do I tell if the differential on my car is limited slip? 2) What is Volvo oil (No. 1 161 276 - 9.)? Is there an equivalent?

The cars are '86 740 GLE and '88 760 GLE (V6.)

Also, I couldn't find the place to fill the diff. oil on the 760. Supposedly there is a nut on the front of the differential but I could not find it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Duong Nguyen

begin 666 Carson & Murphy, Volvo Service Centre - Doncaster.url M6T1%1D%53%1=#0I"05-%55),/6AT=' Z+R]W=W

Reply to
John Robertson

With the car in neutral, handbrake off, block front wheels, jack up one rear wheel and try to spin it. If it spins you don't have a limited slip differential. Also there should be a tag on one of the diff cover bolts outlining the need for special oil if the car is equipped with a limit slip. (Very few are)

Volvo (No. 1 161 276 - 9.) is just differential oil with the additive required for limited slip differentials.

The fill plug is on the left side, about halfway up.

Reply to
Mike F