90 YJ Filling Axle Sift Motor Housing

Ok,

The factory service manual for my 90 YJ clearly says page 2-59 that when you install the axle shift motor housing for an MJ/XJ and YJ, step # 1 is:

Add 148 ml (5 ounces) of of SAE 75W-90, API grade GL 5 hypoid gear oil lubricant to the axle through the shft motor housing opening.

My question is how does one go about adding 5 ounces of gear oil to the axle shift motor housing when it is on the side of the axle (not on top). What I am saying here, is that if you try and add the oil before the housing cover is installed, it will all spill out. What gives? Also, I noticed that when I had the axle shift motor cover off, that oil would spill into the housing area from the differential pumpkin. Is is normal, given that there is an inner axle seal inside the pumpkin? Given that gear oil flows from the pumpkin to the axle shift motor cover, does this indicate that the factory service manual is wrong?

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Thanks

mpv

Reply to
Michael Vincenty

LOL!

Just confusing...

There is no inner seal, but when you install the shift motor you need to pre-lube the parts with some oil for while it waits for splash to finally get there. Something like lubing bearings before installing the crank.

Mike

Michael V>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Don't know for sure, but when the vehicle is level, and assuming your inner seal is intact, the shift area would probably hold 5 oz without spilling.

My inner seal is shot. Whenever I need to open the shift housing cover, I park on a downhill grade and/or lift the rear to minimize spillage.

For me, lack of an inner seal seems to have no impact on lubrication or shifter performance (I have a manual cable shift) so I haven't bothered to replace it.

Steve

Michael V> Ok,

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

To fill the shift housing after removing the cover / fork assy you remove the shift indicator light switch and pour the gear oil in through the hole.

The right (passenger) side of the XJ/YJ disconnect D30 does not have a conventional inner carrier seal, it seals at the outer axle shaft. All the 5 ounces of oil does is "prime" the disconnect assembly until it gets lube from the differential fill. It is, however, very important to fill this area when reassembling. I've seen several of these sieze up after repairs, probably because the diff was low on oil to begin with and the owner failed to top it up.

Reply to
Jerry McG