Battery Drain Help!

After a year of misdiagnosis by our Volvo dealer and our mechanic, and 3 batteries later our mechanic thinks that it is my Blaupunkt MP3000 receiever. He said it's not the wiring, it's the receiver itself. It is draining way too much from the battery for its memory when the car is off. Has anyone else run into problems like this with the electrical system, and is there any way to fix it without getting a new receiver? I have a Volvo 850 1997. Thanks!

Reply to
Wit

Has your mechanic placed an ammeter in series with the radio memory feed to check the current or doesn't he know about such things? It is more likely to be the glove-box light not switching off or the boot light not switching off.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Add a second battery, of the deep-cycle marine type, with one of the battery isolators used in RVs. Hook the receiver to the second battery.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

batteries later our mechanic thinks that it is my Blaupunkt MP3000 receiever. He said it's not the wiring, it's the receiver itself. It is draining way too much from the battery for its memory when the car is off. Has anyone else run into problems like this with the electrical system, and is there any way to fix it without getting a new receiver? I have a Volvo

850 1997. Thanks!

Has this been confirmed with an ammeter connection to the radio, or is the tech just guessing???

I had a mystery battery drain problem on my '96 850 which I traced by hooking a meter in series with the battery and pulling fuses one at a time until I found the trouble circuit. Further investigation revealed that the glove box light switch was not shutting off due to slight warpage of the glove box cover over time. The glove box door is all plastic and it warps slightly with age. The switch pressure point is far from the door latch support point. Less than great engineering IMO.

I fixed mine for a nickel ... actually with a nickel. I epoxied a nickel onto the glove box door at the point of contact with the glove box light switch. This slight extra thickness is sufficient to solve the problem. I applied this fix three years ago and it is still working like a charm. Somehow my sense of humor is tickled by fixing a problem for 5 cents with a nickel.

John

Reply to
John Horner

My tech had actually said that the glove box was the culprit before, however, the battery died a few weeks after after he disconnected the light. I will have to ask about the ammeter and the radio, thanks for all of your help!

Reply to
Wit