Battery drain

I've got a Rover 214Si which loses a lot of charge overnight, particularly if it's a cold night. I've got three batteries which all hold full charge when they're off the car, but all three lose charge when they're fitted. The car starts instantly when I use one of the spare batteries with jump leads. Once it starts it's ok for the rest of the day.

The alternator's been tested and it's delivering what it should be. It is newish, after all.

The only electrical device running overnight is the immobiliser, but the battery loses charge as if the lights had been left on all the time.

I'm just wondering if anybody's had the same problem and found a cure.

Cheers,

KeithC

Reply to
Keith Cunningham

Sorry, I've not had the problem despite occasionally leaving the interior light on all night.

Reply to
Brian Watson

In snipped-for-privacy@posted.plusnet, Keith Cunningham, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk, il 20-12-2008 14:43 ha scritto:

I've had a similar problem: once fully charged, the battery held the charge for just about 100-200 km, or 2-3 days (lately, even less).

It turned out to be the alternator; it wasn't capable to recharge the battery anymore (although the alternator light on the car dashboard didn't signal any problem). Quite normal, I think, since my 214Si has 130.000 km and is 17 years old. :-)

Again, it's normal; engine start requires the most electrical power, and even more when it's cold (with low temperatures, batteries loses power and engine oil becomes thicker).

I hear that. But if the alternator is ok, then what?

Maybe there's some dispersion; maybe there's some electrical wire or device that has a minimal short-circuit (wire insulation worn), and it dissipates power over time (it sounds unlikely, though...).

Reply to
Skizzo

The alternator's fine at tickover, and at first I suspected a slipping drive belt because I was left with a flat battery after a run through a massive rainstorm. Experts tell me that the belt would be squealing if it was slipping, but I'm still a bit suspicious about it..

Reply to
Keith Cunningham

Keith Cunningham, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk, il 24-12-2008 15:29 ha scritto:

That could be it.

(I don't know what "tickover" means, though; I'm Italian)

A slipping belt should produce some noise, as a matter of fact... but who knows.

You should test the alternator output with an electric tester, while the engine is running: so you would be sure if the alternator is really producing the required current, or not. (it could be it produces current, but not enough)

Did you ask for hints to some car repair center?

Reply to
Skizzo

The auto electrician who checked it couldn't find any problems with the alternator or the battery.

The weather had been a few degrees warmer for a couple of days and the car started ok, but now the temperature's dropped to around 5 degrees C it's back to the jump leads.

Reply to
Keith Cunningham

Keith,

It's probably the low temperatures affecting the battery output - a well known fact, even on a new, fully charged one.

As a matter of interest, you could try insulating the battery with an old, thick blanket overnight (don't forget to remove in the morning) just to see if that is the case - or put the car in the garage (if you have one) with an old fashioned paraffin sump heater underneath the engine.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Sorry, but this is 2008/9.

A battery should not be failing to start the car if it's a couple of degrees below zero.

Reply to
Brian Watson

Brian,

A lot of things are the same in 2008/9 as they were 40 - 50 years ago when I first started 'messing' with those unreliable mechanical monsters called automobiles (cars). :-)

The battery on my car (good) has been rather lethargic when starting the car over the last few days with the weather below freezing - it's a well know fact that freezing temperatures affect batteries btw.

As a matter of interest, the same applies to those batteries that you stick in the torches that are kept in the car boot for emergencies - they are certainly dimmer and don't last as long in the cold weather as they do in the warmer summer weather.

But, in the context of the OP, what is there to lose by simply insulating the battery overnight? Absolutely zilch!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Nothing to lose except having to go out and getting the bonnet up on a sub-zero night.

I have a late-ish Rover 200 with the 1.8i engine and *never* have this problem, despite the car always being left out overnight.

The OP's vehicle has a fault: either it is a substandard battery or his charging circuit (and possibly his ignition system) requires attention.

Reply to
Brian Watson

If you oil the belt it stops the squealing! LOL ;-)

Reply to
Stephen

Is it right that a silicon spray lubes the belt but not enough to cause slippage?

Reply to
Brian Watson