1988 740 turbo wiring diagram

My 88 740 is not getting power to the fuel pump and I don't know where the relay is for the pump. I would like to know the location of the relay and if there iw womething else I should be looking for. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co Thanks

-- strib1356

----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread:

from

strib1356

The only relay I am familiar with on my 1987 740 GLE is located behind the fuse panel, under the radio. Remove the ashtray and you'll see the fuse panel. There should be a screw on the left that allows you to remove the fuse panel and then slide out the relay panel. The fuel pump relay I think is on the left rear, and is white and square.

This is all from memory of reading other posts. I bought one on eBay for $15 to have a spare and plan on replacing mine soon as a precaution.

You can carefully remove the white cover and inspect for cracks and resolder if necessary. I would suggest ordering the $15 deal on ebay.

Again, I am not near my vehicle, but this is my recollection.

Reply to
Jamie

You can actually see the relay in this image. It is white and in the upper left corner:

Jamie

Actually, I would double check on the exact location. This might help:

Jamie

While on the subject, a long shot but easy to check: Feel the wires where they come out of the clamp on the positive post of the battery. The smaller red, brown or orange wire carries 12 volts to the ECU. If it corrodes in two - as sometimes happens - the fuel pump relay won't get power. If the wire survives a gentle tug you're okay, but if it falls apart when you touch it you may well have found the problem. (It took me a whole weekend to find it on mine, because the corrosion carried enough current to produce voltage at the ECU.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee