changing a starter motor in 440 HELP DESPERTELY NEEDED

Hi people,

Ive joined the group in the hope i can pass some info on and also i need major help/advice for changing a starter motor in a 440.

Ive had volvos 240 in the past and loved them, got to do a few things to it, so hopefully i can help anyone with a 240. I also have a volvo

740 gle which is a project at the moment lots of faults, but it was donated to us and we snapped it up, still runs, but niggly problems are going to be a challenge.

My main concern at the moment is how to change the starter motor in our

440. We have a haines manual which we followed to the letter, remove filter jack up car, but it fails to tell you firstly where the starter motor is (assuming its over the top of the engine which isnt really accessible)

jacking the car in its jacking place as stated by our owners manual has bent and buckled the trim at the bottom, and the jack kinda collapsed, so another jack is called for which we have.

Can anyone tell me how to access the starter motor, and the best way of how to do this.it seems to be hiding. if its underneath why on earth would haines tell you to remove the aircleaner/filter.

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

donna scotrat animal rescue

Reply to
scotratrescue

Behind the engine, carefully encapsulated by the exhaust manifold. You can just about see the mountingbolts from above.

And proper jackstands!

This is one job which isn't fun, could take a whole day or more and all the skin on your knuckles, while somebody with all the right tools and a carhoist will breeze through!

Reply to
M-gineering

Are you sure it is faulty? I assume its not turning over, have you checked with a good battery first? It is unusual for these to be damaged unless from some other problem that caused it to not start and the starter to wear out.

Anyway a 440 is nowhere near as reliable as a 240, expect problems and rust eventually. Get the 740 running properly it will pay you back 10 times and much easiler to work at with a proper Volvo engine.

Indeed, if you don't know how to use a jack and/or where to put it, nevermind not being able to find the starter you probably shouldn't attempt it. Help here is one thing, but sounds like you need someone there to guide you. Do not get under the car without axle stands supporting the weight on solid suspension parts!

Probably because it gives you better access to bolts at the top. I assume you have the right manual not a 340 or something, similar engine different layout.

-- Tony loadsa 360s and a 940 Turbo

Reply to
Tony

thank you so much for your input, its lovely to get a reply, having joined a volvo forum elsewhere, no one answered so thank you somuch.

Yes pretty sure its the starter motor, can be bump started, its a new battery which we tried in the 740 started no problems, you can hear the starter trying to go, its probably the brushes sticking but ive decided just to renew the whole starter motor.

I did think it was somewhere in the region, perhaps hidden by heat shields? possibly, am going to try tackling it again tomoro.>

I have the haines manual which doesnt tellyou where to jack, the owners manual did, stating just behind the front wheel, which i did, but the jack that came with the car seems to be a bit flimsy for what im used to,, what i intend to do, is apply handbrake, select first gear, put stops behind the rear wheels to stop it rolling, jack up onto breeze blocks, i certinaly dont want to take any chances with a volvo landing on my wee head. i dont entirely trust jackstands, so im hoping the above precautions are adequate. i do intend to build a pit for our cars when the weather allows. suspension parts!

many thanks again, will let you know how i get on.

as for the 740, its looks a great car and such a nice drive, but unfortunately for me, the farmer we rent from doenst maintain the driveway and its appalling, due to the long wheelbase, it scraped on the driveway where the concrete had worn away leaving a large dip, and i mustve either loosened a fuel line or ruptured the petrol tank as i leaked petrol all the way home, so its out of action till i have the weather and tools to raise it to find what damage there is.

we also have a seatbelt sensor which clicks maddening away despite all seat belts being secured, a sunroof that the mechanism is heard trying to close but wont, having the manual handle broken off, just wee silly niggly things like that seem to be the problem with the 740, the petrol leak does seem to be the most major.

many thanks again for your input.

donna scotrat animal rescue

Reply to
scotratrescue

given the amounts of heatshields mentioned in the Haynes instructions I wouldn't discount the possibility

Reply to
M-gineering