City driving & Euro diesels?

I am looking into buying a Jetta TDI, about 2002 model. (sorry there is no volkswagon NG.....but you motorheads here will know). I MIGHT move out of town in another 1,2 or 3 years, and have to commute a long distance each day---- or it might not happen. If I just keep driving shortdistances, mostly within the city, as we do now, does anything bad tend to happen with these 4-cyl diesel engines? I have been told that it can cause problems....these engines like to be driven on long trips. But there are conflicting opionions on this it seems.

Reply to
geronimo

geronimo schrieb:

Only Diesel-engines with a particle-filter need from time to time a longer distance to regenerate the filter. That means 15-20 minutes driving after the engine reached normal operating temperature.

As far as I know, such old cars do not have a filter yet, at least not in Europe.

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Reply to