Continuously Leaking Water Pump on 740 GL

Hi all, Well I put on a new waterpump last year after noticing it was leaking when I bought my 1990 740 GL wagon. After a few months I noticed it was leaking again. Took it to a Volvo mechanic (in fact, ONLY works on Volvos) and he repaired it. Looked good and tight. Drove maybe six months and now I see it is leaking again!! What gives? Is their some type of factory design flaw here or what? Thanks for any help/advive. jimmy

Reply to
jimmy

Where is it / was it leaking from?

Same spot each time?

Reply to
Mr. V

Yes, it seems to leak from where the top gasket fits on (you know, where they tell you to "put a lot of pressure on" when tightening it up or it will leak ;-) I can see where I might have not tightened it properly, but I can't believe my mechanic (who is a guru, and many other folks agree so) can't get it either... Btw, I moved 5 states away or I would just take it back to him again and let him give it another shot. Anyone know of a good Volvo mechanic in Rochester, MN? thanks, jimmy

I smear a light coat of silicone calk on the rubber before installing the pump, never had one leak.

Reply to
James Sweet

Perhaps there is some corrosion on the mating surface for that upper o-ring? Another possibility is that the o-ring installed wasn't of the best quality. Was this a Hepu, Volvo or some other top quality water pump? They are not all equivalent.

John

Reply to
John Horner

condition, or of country, chance gives them to us.

It is a pitiable thing to see so many Turks, heretics, and infidels follow the way of their fathers for the sole reason that each has been imbued with the prejudice that it is the best. And that fixes for each man his condition of locksmith, soldier, etc.

Hence savages care nothing for Providence.

  1. There is an universal and essential difference between the actions of the will and all other actions.

The will is one of the chief factors in belief, not that it creates belief, but because things are true or false according to the aspect in which we look at them. The will, which prefers one aspect to another, turns away the mind from considering the qualities of all that it does not like to see; and thus the mind, moving in accord with the will, stops to consider the aspect which it likes and so judges by what it sees.

100. Self-love. The nature of self-love and of this human Ego is to love self only and consider self only. But what will man do? He cannot prevent this object that he loves from being full of faults and wants. He wants to be great, and he sees himself small. He wants to be happy, and he sees himself miserable. He wants to be perfect, and he sees himself full of imperfections. He wants to be the object of love and esteem among men, and he sees that his faults merit only their hatred and contempt. This embarrassment in which he finds himself produces in him the most unrighteous and criminal passion that can be imagined; for he conceives a mortal enmity against that truth which reproves him and which convinces him of his faults. He would annihilate it, but, unable to destroy it in its essence, he destroys it as far as possible in his own knowledge and in that of others; that is to say, he devotes all his attention to hiding his
Reply to
jimmy