Convert 850 Auto to Standard ?

What do y'all think of the possibility of converting my 1996 850 automatic transmission to a manual?

Any chance I might sell the used auto tranny to help offset the cost?

Any recommendations of someone to do the job in the Boston area?

-----

-RL

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

It's not a trivial job!

You'll need not only the manual transmission, but also:

  • flywheel (is the engine crank the same?)
  • clutch driven plate
  • clutch pressure plate
  • clutch pedal - and maybe its mounting bracket
  • clutch hydraulics
  • manual gear lever and linkage

plus anything I may have forgotten!

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Click and Clack?

Reply to
Steve n Holly

what about tranny fluid / coolant systems changes?... any changes there?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I've done it on RWD cars, but for something as new as the 850 you'll want to find out if the computer has any involvement with the transmission. Cruise control parts are also slightly different. Your best bet is probably to find a wrecked 850 of the same or similar year and buy the whole car, then you'll have all the parts you need plus some extras.

Reply to
James Sweet

I missed that part, unless you can do it yourself there's no way this will be worthwhile, you'd be much better off to sell the car and buy one with a manual.

Reply to
James Sweet

Also:

- Axle shafts

- Fuel injection computer - it talks to the Auto trans. computer, the one for a manual transmission doesn't. This will turn the check engine light on.

Reply to
Mike F