'73 Bus auto trans

I have the chance to buy a 1973 Westfalia with an automatic transmission. It likely has 143,000 miles on it. Any recommendations? I'm most concerned about the transmission. Are they prone to trouble? Hard to fix? Get parts? I've not found any place so far that lists parts or whole auto transmissions.

Reply to
Ed

Never owned the auto tranny on those but all I hear is good regarding reliability.

BUT.....when it does go, you're likely SOL.

I would be far more concerned about the engine. If it has 143K without a major rebuild, it is due.

If the Bus is a steal, buy it and start accumulating the parts to make it 4-spd.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Here's a link to the bus on E-Bay. It has had some engine work. But another pic they sent me showed a lot of rust on the area at the bottom edge of the bus between the front and rear wheels on the driver's side.

Here's another one I'm considering on E-Bay. Any ideas?

Ed

Errrrr Links won't work due to line wrap. Rust between the wheels is the rocker panel. That always means rust elsewhere.

Take a real deep breath before committing to a car buy on eBay sight-unseen.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I have a 73 Bus with an automatic, and the transmission has never given me a problem. I dread the day I have to find parts for it though. I've heard that it's pretty long lived and reliable so hopefully it'll keep working for a long time. You could always weld in a clutch tube and swap it with a bit of work to a manual someday if it came down to that.

- Jeff

Reply to
Jeff AK

Who was the original poster? I have a tranny i am willing to part out.

2 liter automatic, i have the shifter assy as well. If no interest, can i get this to work on a 1600? Gearboxes are scarse here.

Bart Bervoets "Jeff AK" schreef in bericht news:190620040149253542% snipped-for-privacy@alaska.com...

transmission. It

Reply to
Bart Bervoets