Dashboard trouble indicator !

Recently the '98 V70 has been reluctant to start - fires up then dies. At the same time, a symbol on the dashboard (which stays on now) has appeared. The handbook says there's trouble with the engine electronics!

Q: Does that mean it's the engine management computer at fault? Or, does this light come on if there's just a sensor failure?

I'm wondering if I'd be wasting time fault finding a dud sensor.

Reply to
Jordan

The "diagnostic code" can be read and that will say what the specific problem is.

The problem might be with a sensor and that could be a faulty sensor, a problem with the wiring going to that sensor, or that there is some other problem and what that sensor is reading should not be happening.

The computer software is programmed to check the values various engine sensors are reporting. These should be within a certain range. If not in that range, then something is wrong and the check engine light comes on.

For example one sensor may measure the temperature of the outside air going into the engine. In the most extreme weather conditions, the outside air temperature should range from about -80 degrees F. (North Alaska) to maybe 130 degrees F. (Saudi Arabia). So if that sensor is way outside that range - say reading 150 degrees F. or -150 degrees F., then something is wrong! The outside air temperature should not be that anywhere!

Note extreme values can happen if there is a short or break in the wiring / electrical connectors as well as a faulty sensor.

Anyway have the diagnostic code(s) read.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks Bill, good answer. I'm glad the sensors/cabling could make the engine fault indicator light come on. Glad I didn't start barking up the wrong tree. I rang local dealer and asked prices of simple fault read ($85) and new engine computer (around $1200). I briefly disconnected the battery to check wiring under the centre console (nothing obviously wrong), and the fault symbol is now gone. Seems OK now - fingers crossed the starting problem doesn't come back.

Reply to
Jordan

Dash board trouble indicator . My belt indicator tells me my wife is on board when it "stops "that means TROUBLE IS IN THE CAR .

Reply to
jrobertson