Disabling Auto Headlights

I believe the idea was to make it impossible to drive on sidelights alone, it came in around 1987 and was dropped in the late 90's.

Just to add to the debate - my 850 has the low intensity running lights and have left them be for the moment (winter) but I will switch them off in the summer months, luckily I have the option via a recessed switch next to the light switch.

Reply to
Me

That sounds about right. At least you then had the option of driving with

*no* lights during the daytime - which is denied to those Volvo owners who can't work out how to defeat their daytime running lights!

My V70 (1999 vintage - I guess the new shape is different) has a 3-position screw just below the light switch which enables 3 modes to be selected - one of which allows you *not* to have lights during the daytime. None of the modes provide dimmed beams though. What I really miss is a little bleeper - like many other makes have - to warn me if I accidentally leave the sidelights on when parking.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

When you consider my expense of over £600 to replace the headlight units because the reflector surface had peeled, you'll quite understand why people want to turn their day running lights off !! When I had the problem of spread-beam headlights, I was continuously getting other drivers flashing me, suggesting I was dazzling the oncoming traffic. I was only on dipped-beam all the time, so I thought I'd better investigate. The problem was that the reflector surface had lost it's adhesion to the backing plates. The whole reflector had gone rather dull, and polishing just made large sections of the reflector material flake off. I wrote to Volvo UK, asking why these reflectors had peeled so soon (car is

6 years old), and explaining that only genuine bulbs had ever been used in the car, and no water-ingress was apparent e.t.c. I suggested a quality problem with the reflectors, and stated that with such cost involved in resolving the problem, I'd like to know of any other alternatives, i.e spare reflectors. They wrote back saying that they'd sort the problem at their expense. When I telephoned to arrange this, they said that because the car had done over 120,000 miles, they wouldn't pay. Obviously the car wasn't under warranty, but Volvo UK originally admitted that this shouldn't happen. Therefore, I was left to pay £600 for 2 new headlamp units, which aren't available as separate parts (reflector, lense, body e.t.c.). My dealer says that in the UK you can buy new headlamp lenses no probs, but Reflectors are only available for older cars e.g 740. I chased all the way through the Hella group too, because the headlight lenses have 'Hella' stamped (well, moulded) on them. It turns out that these lamps are actually made in the Volvo factory, but under licence from Hella. No joy with spares there then. In the end, Volvo UK can kiss my arse, because I found some broken headlamps in a breakers yard for £10 each, with perfectly good reflectors. It's something I'd consider on my next car though. Either be prepared for silly, unnecessary expenses at MOT test time, turn the day-running lights off, or get prepared and start searching for spares in the scrappy long before you need them!

My final word is that I still DO use my day-running lights, and am still looking for some 2003 C70 headlamps with the clear lenses (no prism effect) in a breakers yard to give the car a facelift.

Cheers. Joe landy Peterborough UK.

1997 V70 TDI 227,000 miles.

Reply to
Joe landy

In the US, the "sidelights" are called parking lights and are intended to be left on when the car is parked on the edge of a highway. If it is well off the road the parking lights are used. If it is close to the main traveled lane(s) or partially blocking the main traveled lane(s) the hazard warning lights (flashing all 4 turn signals) are turned on.

In some states, it is illegal to drive with the parking lights on since some one may mistakenly assume the car is parked and not moving.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

The solution is to make Volvo provide you a safe car, not to defeat the safety features they do provide. Obviously using headlights should have no deleterious effect other than just using some of the finite life of the lamps. If the reflector is failing in normal use, that is a design flaw and should be reported to national safety monitoring agencies and Volvo. They need to fix it pronto. In the USA that is reason for a model recall which means manditory replacement at the manufacturers expense.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Are you suggesting that the life of the reflectors depends on how much the headlamps are switched on? If so, that seems unlikely to me - more likely to be a time thing - or maybe exposure to some corrosive gas or something.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

In the UK, it's perfectly legal to drive with just sidelights on - and is a reasonable thing to do when visibility is just a bit poor - i.e. you can see where you are going but others may be able to see you better with *some* lights on. However, when you get to the end of your journey and park - maybe off the road - it's all too easy to leave the lights on, with the risk of running down the battery. [There's no indication inside the car, because the instrument panel lights go off when the ignition is turned off]. All my previous (non Volvo) cars and my wife's current car (Ford Puma) have a bleeper which operates when you open the doors with the sidelights on.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Unfortunately the USA headlamp regulations are just a loads of hogwash with the result that USA lighting is just about the worst in the world. I am sorry but there it is! You only have to get a set of European headlamps from IPD and others to improve the dismal output from the USA designed lighting fitted as standard to all imports (and home market vehicles) to comply with the USA laws.

Cheers, Peter.

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news04.west.earthlink.net... : "Joe landy" wrote: : : > When you consider my expense of over £600 to replace the headlight units : > because the reflector surface had peeled, you'll quite understand why people : > want to turn their day running lights off !! : : The solution is to make Volvo provide you a safe car, not to defeat the : safety features they do provide. Obviously using headlights should have : no deleterious effect other than just using some of the finite life of : the lamps. If the reflector is failing in normal use, that is a design : flaw and should be reported to national safety monitoring agencies and : Volvo. They need to fix it pronto. In the USA that is reason for a : model recall which means manditory replacement at the manufacturers : expense. : : -- : Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net : Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA : Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '02 Volvos. : The '67,'74,'79,'87,'95 and '02 through European Delivery. :

Peter Milnes

Yeah that sure is the truth, I was shocked by the improvement when I switched to ECE lamps.

Reply to
James Sweet

My V70 has provision for a small 5W bulb inside the headlight housing, and a an extra terminal wire in the socket for it as well. I guess that somewhere these are fitted, even still.

Reply to
Mike F

This makes sense. With the harmonization of rules and regulations across Europe, this is the kind of country specific requirements that are supposed to be eliminated. The only thing I actually know about DIM-DIP is what I've noticed in Volvo wiring diagrams manuals. Volvo used a controller that supplied reduced voltage to the low beams when the ignition was on - turning the lights on just bypassed this controller.

Reply to
Mike F

In the '60s they wouldn't even let a person drive in Europe with USA spec headlamps. On those cars we had both sets and changed depending upon where we were driving. However, today you can use either set either place. Since I buy most of my Volvos in Europe, I have driven my USA spec headlamps many miles in Europe and can't say that my headlights were worse than those on the other cars on the highways I was driving. Maybe before 1992 that was true, but after 1992 the USA spec headlamps were as good as any headlamps on other cars that were on the road.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

There's been some changes and better cars today have headlamps that meet both sets of regulations from what I gather, either way I'm seeing a lot of US headlamps that look very much more like ECE lamps from their beam pattern. There's still plenty of cars that come with absolutely horrid headlights that still manage to meet regulations though. Try driving an F350 Diesel pickup sometime, my friend's dad has the base model, I think it's a

2002, the lighting is awful.
Reply to
James Sweet

Hi there mr Bonnet lock, and thanks for the input. Yes I do think the headlamp reflector life is directly related to the length of time the headlamps are on for. The surface peeled in the places closest to the bulbs. Worst area was directly above the bulb glass, where heat has obviously risen. This evidence made me suspect use of the wrong headlamp bulbs, i.e values of above 55 watts. All my service documentation suggests that only Genuine bulbs have ever been fitted, and during the time I've owned the car, I have only fitted a couple of sets of genuine bulbs. As for corrosion, the car has never had a replacement headlamp lense, and has perfectly good seals around the lense edge, i.e no moisture inside. Like I said, the problem is fixed for the moment, but is sure to crop up on others at Annual Testing time. Cheers for now. Joe Landy. Peterborough UK.

Reply to
Joe landy