Disenchanted with my VolvoS80

Purchased a used 2000 S80Volvo with 70K from an individual in April. Since then, I replaced the front and back brakes because I received a message for ABS Service Required code along with a STC code. The codes continued to appear after I had the brakes replaced. I suspected that since I hadn't replaced the brakes at a "Volvo Dealership" that they were not able to turn off the codes. Unfortunately, the nearest dealership is 70 miles away. A few weeks later, my car died as I was driving down the highway at about 50 mph. I happened to be in front of an Autozone but nothing they could do, it's a Volvo and parts would have to be ordered. I had it towed. The mechanic said it was the Mass Air Flow Sensor. He replaced it. Days later I had a different mechanic who worked only on foreign cars say that the alternator needed to be replaced at the tune of $674. including parts and labor. About a week after that, I took it to a Volvo Dealership because of an Emission System Service Required Code had appeared. The dealership hooked it up their machine and it said that I was in need of a MFI module 8619545-0 Code ABS 0070 and Replaced ABS Control Module at the tune of $944.89. Now after ALL of that money spent, one would think the problems would cease! The dealership also said that the Mass Air Flow Sensor must be faulty and would need to be replaced. I checked with my hometown mechanic and he said he would replace it for me BUT that he had done some research online and said that it was sounding like I would need to replace the throttle body??? That it could be causing the Mass Air Flow Sensor damage. ??? He also stated that you can't order that part. ???? Why not??? I'm confused. Am I too trusting?? Or is this the reality of having a volvo???

Reply to
volvoS802000model

I must say that I am gald I don't own one of the newer Volvos, but:

When replacing the AMM (Air Mass meter or MAFS as your mechanic called it) it is imperative to also at leas tcheck if not replace the thermostat in the air cleaner box. When these fail and allow only hot air to enter the air intake system, AMM failure is not far behind. He should know this.. after all, I am just an idiot shadetree mechanic and I know it! ;-) As far as replacing the throttle body, if it has the electronic throttle body then it is a failure point if the posts here have any strength. Otherwise, maybe someone else here can comment on he interrelationship.....?

The ABS units on some models are somewhat prone to failure but they CAN be repaired! Do a google for "Volvo ABS computer repair":

This fellow is in Southern California who does this, tests them, and guarantees his work for $130:

ahve communicated with him by E-mail and he seems like a decentenough fellow and hs website is quite informative.This place:
in Florida. This place:
$130. I would easily bet $150 to keep from spending over $900!

I didn't check on alternator prices, but if the regulator was throwing voltage spikes or high AC voltage through the system it could account for some of the electronic failures.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Reply to
Jwk11

ABS failure is almost caused by worn brake pads, it is generally a sensor or the $$$$ controller.

These modern high-tech cars are chock full of very expensive electronics as you have found. One reason to parts prices are so high is that they are custom pieces you can only buy through the dealer.

Personally I would unload a vehicle which is throwing that many big $$$ curve balls. The S80 has not proven to be a highly reliable vehicle in the long run.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I'll check into it. Thanks!