S 70 Dash Squeeks - Toronto Area Volvo Mechanic

The dash in my 1998 S70 squeeks to the point of driving me crazy. One guy has looked at it and says the mounting bolt on the passenger side has pulled out. He has tried to secure the dash with nylon tie wraps from inside the glovebox.

When I psuh the center of the dash it seats up against the windshield (or cowling or whatever) and the noise stops. When I release it, I can see it sag and the squeeking resumes.

First, any guidance (other than pull the dash and reset it)?

Second, does anyone in the Toronto (Etobicoke) area know of a decent independent machanic who specializes in Volvos?

Thanks,

Ian

Reply to
jjmjij

If you KNOW where the squeak is and it is generally accessible, you could try getting a little talcum powder in there.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

This is a puzzle.

I have heard of ppl having this drama and when it happened in our S70 it just required putting a re-sized rubber spacer inbetween the glove box.

I can understand why it is putting you on edge, an annoying sound!

Cheers H

On 14/10/05 12:28 AM, in reference to snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, going by the name of " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote the following:

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

You have to remove the cowling in front of the windshield under the hood to access the mounting screws for the dash. Torx T40 I believe. They can work loose over time if they were under torqued at the factory. If the winshield has been replaced, it's possible to get the glass too close to or pinch the rubber gasket on the dash pad and the dash will squeak.

Bob

Reply to
User

On 14/10/05 1:23 PM, in reference to snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net, going by the name of "User" wrote the following:

Urg, what a pain!

Cheers

Hamish Alker-Jones

I was told by my indie Volvo mechanic that 1998 wasn't such a good year for our dashboards. Later, they lined the dash with felt tape to reduce squaking. Acutally, to me you're lucky if you're only just squeaking. I hear squeaking on the left side, but on the right side it's a loud cracking sound when I go over bumps and cracks in the road. I imagine that the mounting bolt has either come out or is broken.

While grasping the screw hole on the far right side as leverage, I can lift up the dash a little bit. I'm getting scared that this will get worse if I don't fix it. If the left side broke too, I'm gonna be in trouble.

Can this really be addressed by just taking off the cowling? I was told that I had to remove the dash to get to the bolts. My mechanic also suggested to take care of the evaporator or some other AC part that can only be accessed with a dash removal. He told me to take care of the creaking/cracking/squeaking later on when the AC became an issue.

Does the Haynes manual have good instructions on removing the cowling? Is it just removing some screws?

Thanks, Mike

My mech said my right side mounting bolt was sheared off and use nylon tie-wraps from the glove box to tighten things up. It helped but the rest of thne dash still squeeks.

Ian

Reply to
Ian