Does Volvo sell a Diesel Car in North America?

Well that's all fine and dandy, but the fact remains that the D5 was never sold anywhere in North America. You simply can't get one, so anything else is irrelevant.

Reply to
James Sweet

That says a lot about the American consumer and diesel cars in general and almost nothing about Volvo diesel cars. Last year I travelled a couple of thousand miles in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. I never saw a diesel passenger car. Ford light-trucks but no pax cars of any make.

During these long trips I wished I had my D5 with me. Huge fuel tank - not these ridiculously small fuel tanks in American cars and a decent consumption. Lately I drove from Switzerland to the Atlantic (600 miles with fuel for another 50 miles) at speeds on highways of about

90 to 95 miles whenever possible. The ride took less than 8 hours.

American consumers don't like that kind of economics? Can't be true! Why is the American car industry sitting so deep in the s..t? and losing market share globaly and nationaly?

I want to make one thing clear: I do not say Volvo is the only car maker with such good engines: Look to the French manufacturers, the Germans and even the Japanese recognised the need to produce diesel engines for the global market. Only America is standing aside.

At least at the moment. But my contacts at European manufacturers of engine components tell me that the large American producers are sucking up all capacities of machine tools to manufacture diesel injection systems and new equipment aluminium casting systems. It is a fair guess that in about one to three years there will be a huge avalanche of new modern diesel cars reaching the North American markets.

And again: I'm strongly convinced that the conventional gasoline engine has no future with its low efficiency and its high CO2 output except for special purposes.

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

I have to agree that the current crop of European diesel cars are not sluggish.

I rented a brand new SAAB 95 diesel two years ago and drove all over Devon and Corwall (driveway of rental cottage went right unto a B road on a near-blind curve.)

I noticed no problems with acceleration (had to tone down some starts because I started leaving rubber on the road.) and the mileage was terrific compared to my V40 back home (1000KM city/highway on a full

48-liter tank, versus the 500-or-so on pure highway.)

If Volvo markets a diesel, I'll be seriously considering it. (local Ikea store just put in parking spots for Hybrids.....)

Still looking for a guide to retro-fitting a Vokswagon diesel into my V40.....

Reply to
byrocat

I fail to see what, they're not for sale, they can't be bought, what does that say about the consumer?

Diesels got a bad reputation in cars because the domestic makers built so many horrible ones, the new ones are much better, but VW is the only manufacture I'm aware of in the US to offer a modern TDI and they sell pretty well in some areas. If Volvo would offer the D5 here, people would buy it but not everyone wants to drive a Volkswagen, and it will take a lot to get the bulk of the population interested enough to give them a try. The economy is simply not the same here, diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline, the cars that use it are more expensive, maintenance is more expensive and harder to find, those things are not gonna change overnight.

Reply to
James Sweet

My experience with diesel sedan is very positive.

About 10 yrs ago in Massachusetts I bought used Toyota Camry Turbo Diesel from Toyota dealer and enjoyed it for over 5 years. It was a great car, with over 40 miles/gallon and not a single problem. The only minor drawback was not all stations carried diesel fuel. That car was good performer, not noisier than gasoline cars, fare from being sluggish. I'm sure today's diesel cars are better than my Camry diesel designed in the last century.

Pollution is significantly lower at sedan diesel compared to bus and truck diesel engines.

If available, I would seriously consider Volvo sedan diesel.

Mike '98 S70

Reply to
Mike