Dumb 850 question...

We have a '94 850. We had the car parked for awhile, and went to drive it last night. However, nobody can seem to remember if the LCD clock and thermometer are supposed to light up. Can any 850 owners out there help? I've taken out the guages before, and it was no simple task, so I'd rather not take apart the dash for nothing.

Reply to
Drew

No they should not. It would be nice if they did, but they don't. Adam

Reply to
Adam

Yep. At least on the trip computer version, there are two bulbs:

instrument removal photos from when I replaced a broken odometergear:

me, it was easier to remove the entire dash cover, with airbag,rather than try to force the instrument pod out through a narrowslot.)

Doug Warner

The bulbs are there on the simpler, non trip computer version as well.

Reply to
Mike F

So now, here's the 64 cent question: Do you remember if the bulbs were the smaller "rice" type used for the warning lights or the larger backlight ones? I can't really tell which is which in that picture. (I ask because last time, I bought the wrong bulbs and had to go to Autozone with the dashboard in pieces.)

Reply to
Drew

According to my 2000 parts CD, the bulbs in the clock/temp unit are "bulb, with socket" and have a Volvo part # of 966326-1. 1.2 watts.

So my guess is that means the bulb is integrated with the twist-in plastic base. The drawing confirms this.

Doug Warner