Timing belt question...850

I just bought a '94 850 ( non-turbo), my first Volvo in about 15 years. It has 67,000 miles, and the timing belt is original. Needless
to say, that will be changed ASAP, like this evening.
I bought a Haynes manual on eBay last night, but of course I won't have it tonight.
Can someone give me a quick run-down of where the timing marks are on the cam and crank? Anything unique to changing it on this engine? Anything else I should do while I am at it, ie belt tensioner, any seals, and...whatever?
Thanks!
BTW, what is the preferred service manual for the 850 series? The last few Haynes I've bought seem to cover only the very basic maintenance items.
Ron/Champ 6
1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1992 VW Passat (Taxi) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk)
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:31:14 GMT, Ron /Champ 6 ( snipped-for-privacy@att.net) wrote:

Here are the instructions: <http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt.htm
Good luck!
--
Bev A. Kupf

This is an excellant 'how-to' step by step. i would add the following:
1) I would strongly suggest replacement of the water pump, idler roller and tensioner roller when you do the t/belt. See the above post as to what can happen if the bearings in either fail shortly after.
2) Add new accessory drive belt too.
3) It's *very* important to compress the hydraulic tensioner *slowly*. If you're doing it in a vice do 1/4 turn every minute or so. Any quicker and you'll bugger the internal seals leading to an incorrectly tensioned belt which may flap and fly off when the engine is running. = mashed valves = new head.
4) A new genuine Volvo belt will have white lines on it which line up with the timing points cast into the cam sprockets and is alot easier to fit, although still fiddly. You'll probably end up fitting it 2 or 3 times whilst keeping the timing marks in line.
5) When you are sure the marks are right, pull out the pin to the tensioner and go have a coffee to let the piston pop out. Then slowly turn the engine over twice by hand in direction of rotation and re check the timing marks.
Tim..
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:03:35 +0000 (UTC), "Tim.."

I see a Volvo tensioner roller is about as good as a VW...found out the hard way on a 16V Passat. Didn't know I had a second idle roller as well, or is this on the accessory belt?

Yep, I did plan on that as well

YIKES!
Gotta go 30 miles to the dealer, but it sounds well worth the drive.

Thanks!
Thanks! That's probably better than the manual anyhow! There's a bunch of hard to see fasteners on this engine aren't there?

Try this link. Similar to Alldata, but its free.
http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/index.cfm