e-code question for 1985 240.

Just got an e-mail reply from FCP Groton, they said they don't have e- codes for the 1985, only the 1986-93. I need some help explaining or translating.

1- Will the e-codes for the 86-93 fit my 1985? I am not sure if they won't fit, or FCP doesn't want to admit selling something not 'legal' technically in the US.

2- I put the DJ Auto e-codes on my 1987 740, replacing the 4 sealed beams. I thought I could get e-codes for nearly any model - does anyone here have my model year (1985 240) with e-codes?

Thanks!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I just checked Wagner and Gunther in Germany, and the price is 149 euro per side for original euro lights. I assume it's euro, anyway.

Looks like about $395 USD + shipping for both sides, but maybe there is an international discount on the tax to offset the cost.

Any other ideas?

Jamie

FCP double checked and says the 86-93 will fit my 85. Sorry for the multi-posts. $300 for the complete kit, molding, bulbs and turn assembly. Now I need to order my wiring kit from Daniel Stern. I guess he's still in business.

jb

Reply to
Jamie

No it won't, not unless you replace the fenders and grill with those from an '86+. The sheetmetal is different, '86 got the facelift. The single piece e-codes for '85 and earlier are hard to find because Europe got the facelift in '81 so the lights for the US style '85 were only used for I think 2 years over there.

Another option is to get the e-code retrofits that go in the quad rectangular openings, I have some on my 242 and while they look just like the stock DOT lamps, they sure work a lot better.

Reply to
James Sweet

Darn.

Do you think I can order something stock from Germany and have it fit?

Reply to
Jamie

Final answer from W&G is:

1258202 head light left 108,40 Euro 1258203 head light right 108,40 Euro 1259742 Blinkleuchte (flasher light) left 70,- Euro 1259743 Blinkleuchte (flasher light) right 70,-Euro

Shipping US around 50,-Euro

by money transfer via IBAN bank nr.

$793.26 USD - more than I paid for the car. LOL

(I might do it...hmmmmmm)

Reply to
Jamie

Dang, the exchange rate must have gotten horrible, when I was looking at those it was gonna be more like $400, now I wish I'd bought a set.

Reply to
James Sweet