Fishy Smell in C70

No emergency here, just idle curiosity. When I test drove a C70 convertible with leather interior at the dealer this past May, the interior gave off a *strong* smell of fish, as though the factory had prepared the leather with fish oil. It wasn't just us; others -- including salesmen at more than one dealer -- acknowledged the smell and said that was just the way Volvos are. We bought a C70 in which the smell was much less noticeable than some others we test drove, and the odor is dissipating as we've driven a lot with the top down. No, there weren't Swedish herring hiding in the trunks, or cod left on the engines. Hallucinations? Or has anyone else experienced this as well?

Reply to
duneclimb

I was in a new(ish) V70, and the leather had a pretty strong smell, but no worse then the leather in my families 960 at the same age... it didn't smell like fish tho.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

A pal had a similar experience with an older SAAB 9000, which on really close investigation turned out to be a small bag of whelks tucked under the carpet!

Reply to
R Strong