Looking at new Maximas

My wife and I are becoming interested in the new model Maximas. I test drove a 2004 white SE on Sunday and fell in lust with this car. It was priced at $21,000 w/ 41k miles but looked like it was slightly abused as a lease return. It had the navigation and leather package and was one sweet ride. But when I saw a lot of scratches on the interior armrest fascias and shifter console, then the micro cracks on the front bumper fascia, I realized this seller did not disclose it in his photos and, although the price was right, I declined his lower counter offer.

My question is, what are the major issues/problems with the new models?

I think I'm gonna stay away from the navigation system if we do buy a new Max. I think the leather looks great but I'm not sure it will last like cloth. If I do get a new car, we will keep this a LONG time, just like our other 2 Maximas! Thanks!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

IMHO I don't think there has really been a quality Maxima built since the 98/

99s but thats just my thoughts on the subject. Now about that GPS navigation system very soon there is going to be a new system besides the GPS that is now widely used today. The new system called Galileo this new system won't stop all the GPS systems from being useful but what we will have is a duel system and the older systems will still work but they won't have the new Galileos more powerful signal and accuracy. I just carry a small handheld GPS unit with me for now.
Reply to
madmaxer

My question is, what are the major issues/problems with the new models?

I think I'm gonna stay away from the navigation system if we do buy a new Max. I think the leather looks great but I'm not sure it will last like cloth. If I do get a new car, we will keep this a LONG time, just like our other 2 Maximas! Thanks!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Boots

We have had a 2004 Max Se 5sp auto with Sunroof for almost years now 35K miles. Great car Very reliable No real problems except for the tires most SEs come with Goodyear RSAs (245-45-18) very expensive noisy and sensitive to injury. Pros: too many to list here but highlights: are great performance, lots of room, very reliable, many compliments on styling Cons: very large turning radius this combined with limited visibility to rear makes the car clumsy in parking garages, parking lots and other confined spaces Some minor Technical service bulletins check them out at

Dell

Be sure to check out the new Altima as well. The Altima is a much closer replacement to the 90-94 Maxima than the current Maxima is. When I got out of my '93 SE in 2003, I drive the new Maxima and found it a clumsy boat in comparison to the third generation Maxima. The shifter (manual) was floaty and clumsy, the car was VERY heavy and ponderous on the road in comparison to the third Gen, and the increased Horse Power caused even more torque steer than was present in the third Gen. I would look hard at the Altima if I were you just to see which you prefer. The current Maxima is a fine car for what it is, but as a replacement for my third Gen Max, it was too much larger for me to get that "4 Door Sports Car" feel that I got of my third gen. If you aren't looking for that, then you are probably looking at the right car.

Reply to
Hazey

The 2004-06 Maxima and Altima are the same body and size. In fact, the new Altima is bigger than the 2003 and below Maximas.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Thanks, guys! I realize the new Max is larger, but I'm looking for a more luxo feel than the 3rd gens. I love both my 3rd gens, but would like more "car" around me. Torque steer is not a big issue w/ me as I know how to handle (used to have a Daytona Turbo that could take the wheel right outta my hands! Very exciting when goosing it!!) The one I test drove definitely had some "balls" and had a more heavy feel, plus it handles much better than the old 3rd gen.

I'm still looking!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Sounds like it's the car for you! It is definitely more luxo, and power is something that it has in overarching extravegance. I have to disagree with you about the handling though. I found that my third Gen held the road better than the current model, but for me that is only a mere quibble, and I was comparing SE to SE not a GXE. Personally, from what you have said, I think that you are absolutely the right buyer for the current Maxima. It is all about luxury, as are many Nissans now. I had a Murano for a rental for a few weeks, and I was blown away by how nice and plush I found the interior even though that interior had alot of bare plastic.

Also in answer to Codifus's point, I had no idea that the Altima had become so large. Thanks for the info. Enjoy that new Max Chris!

Reply to
Hazey