Flashing Transmission Arrow on 960

My 960 had reverse go out and now the light is flashing as well. Any ideas as to what's going on?

Reply to
Volvette

-- alex

'89 765T, 171,4xx mi

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

You have a problem, with the Gearbox Control Unit which may need the dealer to sort it out unless it is a case of loose connectors, most likely being one of the three attached to the gearbox (under the car).

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

I'd guess that there's a problem with the selector switch. It's bolted to the side of the transmission, just above the front exhaust pipe. It's a common failure, and is reponsible for turning the reverse lights on and telling the transmission control unit which gear you've selected. If the control unit gets a signal that's not possible, the transmission light flashes. You may be able to clean up the switch by moving the shifter back and forth 10-20 times.

Reply to
Mike F

Have a look at this site, it certanly proved useful to me.

ramjet

The 960 is rear wheel drive and the switch on the 960 is located on the right side of the tranny in a difficult-to-reach position. There are a couple of connections in the cable that you may wish to disconnect and examine, as well as the electrical cable, but I believe the switch needs to be replaced. Mine is doing the same thing on ocassion- light flashes and tranny goes into winter mode (or at least feels that way). To get out of the mode, start the motor and turn the car- repeat three times. Sounds odd, and I can't explain it, but it has worked every time for me.

from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960

Reply to
Randy G.