flush old fuel out of system 1985 240

Howdy Volvorados, I want to either treat or flush my fuel system. The 85 240 wagon I just bought had about 1/2 tank of fuel, but the car sat for a long time - only being started occasionally. I don't know how old the fuel is, I usually give it 6 months life and it could be that old. I am wondering if I should drain it, or just add something like SeaFoam or some other fuel additive.

I want to change the fuel filter (external) as well, but not sure what to do about the fuel.

Also, symptom dujour is when I start the car it fires right up, the engine hums a bit until warm (like belts rubbing or maybe vacuum). Then, when I start working the accelerator it starts choking out. I can pump the gas pedal, get it idling strong- then when I accelerate the pedal it starts dying.

I am thinking fuel first, then maybe plugs and wires for spark, and lastly air intake.

Thoughts?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Jamie

Problem solved!

Vacuum leak. On top of throttle body are 2 vacuum hoses - 1 small and

1 large. The large went to an elbow T-connection and one tube was split. I repaired the tube and the engine runs STRONG!

Tomorrow we degrease. AYYYYEEE!!!!

Reply to
Jamie