Fuel Filler Won't Unlock

The fuel filler flap on our 2003 V70 won't unlock. The dealer couldn't help today as all the technicians had gone home. We took the side trim off inside the car but were still unable to access the solenoid. - Also, a couple of weeks ago, we noticed that when you locked the car, the indicators were no longer flashing. Could these be related?

Many thanks Paul - Only 75 miles till empty!!! - Gulp

Reply to
Paul Nicholson

With the trim off, can you get to the wiring harness for the solenoid? If so, tap in and apply power with a battery charger. Should just need a quick touch to kick the release.

Also, I'd check fuses--the one for the indicators may also supply power for the release.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

You know...the dealers can be so ignorant sometimes, of even the most basic operational features of their own cars, and they will be DAMNED if they're going to give any free information to a driver in distress. Well, here's another Volvo of Las Vegas story. I was in there on a Saturday when the service dept closes down early. There was this man that drove in and said that he couldn't get his fuel door open and, he was told "precisely" the same story...that they were just ready to close. I think that his was an '01 because on the back door it said V70 XC. AnyHoo, to make a long story short, I pulled off the little carpeted panel, fished around inside for this crappy little pull loop that looks like it's a piece of leftover edge welting and pulled it. I told him, "Now open the filler door". Presto-Changeo. This is another Volvo quirk that is DESIGNED to make your car absolutely unserviceable, requiring the owner to have to take the vehicle to the dealer for expensive service. On any "normal" car, whatever that is these days, that has a filler flap where you must push a button inside the car to get the flap to pop open, if that fails, there is always a wire protruding into the trunk with a yellow handle with wording that states something like "Pull to open filler door"...or something like that. Anyway, that cheeeeeep little cloth loop is in there behind the panel. You have to feel for it back there because you can't see it with the panel off. Good luck.