Volvo v70 2004 fuel filler flap question

Hi all

Found that fuel filler flap was not locking even after waiting the 10 minutes after locking the car for the flap to lock (a design featre allowing the car to be locked at a fuel station while filling up)

Took it apart and found 2 teeth missing on the gear drive

Fitted a new part all well now

so why the post

my question is does the filler flap lock when the car is moving?

It does not lock when the engine is started I have tried that

Any one know before I try more tests?

regards

Reply to
TMC

Maybe you're analysing too much. ;)

Does it matter if it's locked when moving? I would have thought it doesn't matter until you need to actually fill up .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Maybe too much analysis but based on the fact that on all other cars we have the fuel filler flap in normally locked and only opened by a lever release inside the car, I cannot see any logic in having a flap that is not locked when driving

On reflection the whole idea seems a bit pointless as every time I unlock the car the fuel flap unlocks and then 10 minutes after I lock the car it locks again.

Regards

Reply to
TMC

it makes no difference to getting a screwdriver or drill into the tank

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I was musing that the the flap may flap when driving if it is not locked hence the original post

Regards

Reply to
TMC

then what you need is to get someone to check it for you before you turn the car off or open the door.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

oh for days of a colour coded filler cap that did not even lock and were generally traded at petrol stations on the basis of this one should fit and the guy who has left it may find mine where ever I left it and I can put the black plastic temporary one back in the boot for next time

or the locking chrome aftermarket ones oh s**t I have the spare car keys and there is no filler cap key with this set

I have noticed that there was some intelligent thought in this locking device

It has a little lever that (if you know that it is there as it is not mentioned in the manual and cannot be seen through the access flap) that allows opening of the cap if the motor fails in the locked position

regards

Reply to
TMC

Surely it is hinged at the forward edge and therefore cannot flap open as you drive forward?

Mine, not a Volvo locks all the doors and fuel filler at 2mph. They then stay locked unless you release them via the master unlock button or pull the inside door release twice on each door. Fuel flap releases when you stop the engine and get out. Boot release button in the cab, or remote only works whilst the car is stationary.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield