Fuel leak - 89' 740 Turbo

I believe my car has developed a fuel leak, recently the fuel consumption has dramatically decreased and I've been smelling slight gas fumes around
the car when I get out. Unfortunately it's winter here in Canada and I can't really put it up on stands to check the fuel line.
Does anyone out there have any advise as to what I can do to detect where the fuel leak is coming from?
Thanx in advance, Norbert
TWC: my 84 760 had this problem and it caused by the lossen/broken fuel hose from the fuel tank,and the gasket of the sender unit was leak too.They all can be seen after removing the rear left wheel.
Norbert Ricafort gJG