Funny sparks in a 740

Someone I know has a volvo 740 turbo (LH 2.4) with an interesting problem: two of his spark plugs give out weak sparks and two give nice and bright ones. He did check that by connecting one spark plug to each wire and seeing the spark. He has swapped distributor cap, rotor, and wires, and tested the spark at the coil (nice and uniform). What else should he check?

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

Sparkplugs. Thy have internal resistor the frequently goes from few Kilo ohms to much higher value. Very high value of internal resistance will limit the current. If you have a bucket full of old sparkplugs check them with ohmmeter between the tip and the cable end. Some will read open circuit and still fire (sort of)

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

But why if he connected the same spark plug to the 4 different spark plug wires he would get two wires producing bright sparks and two producing wimpy ones?

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

Is the distributor rotor arm bent or loose? Check inside the cap for damage after the bent arm has been going round. The 2 good sparks contact points maybe bent away from the centre increasing the distance from the bad ones.

Never heard of it before, but its the only thing I can think of if everything else is ok.

Could be something to do with Engine management, crank sensor maybe, are you sure a good engine does not do this?

Is there a more direct symptom? Is the engine actually running badly?

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

Also is the cap seated properly? ie nothing trapped between the cap and the distributor base.

Does the cap wobble when pushed on?

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

It also occurred to me it might be a damaged interrupter plate or rotting engine wiring harness depending on the year.

Reply to
James Sweet

Good point. It is not clear the he actually moved same plug from wire to wire.

Reply to
Boris Mohar