Gas filler cover fell off

2001 V70 XC - The other day the gas filler cover fell off when opened. The plastic piece into which the "big diaper pin" goes in broke. Seems strange. Anyway, does anyone know how this plastic holding strip is fastened to the car, so I can replace it. There are no screws showing, so it must be "glued" or "pinned"

Thanks, Gerry (Volvo since '70)

Reply to
gerry

If it's anything like the S-60 cover, it's held in by expandable plugs. The new one will have some plastic pins you break off then tap through the center of the plugs which then expand to hold the cover mount in place. Once you see the new one, it should be pretty obvious what to do.

Reply to
Lloyd Wells

I have the same model and the same problem, except nothing appears to be broken. Everything is there, but I can't figure out how it was put in so that it wouldn't fall out. I can put it back together and lock it, but it falls off the next time I open it. At least the tether that connects the cap to the cover keeps it from falling off when I open it.

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '01 Volvos. The '67,'74,'79,'87,'95 and '01 through European Delivery.

rhodyman

Reply to
ontheopenroad

I took it to the dealer and he replaced the hinge for $30 including a "free" car wash. Two tabs were broken off on the old one. My wife's '95 850 has the same hinge and it has never had a problem.

-- Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '01 Volvos. The '67,'74,'79,'87,'95 and '01 through European Delivery.

rhodyman

Reply to
Duke W