gas mileage 1999 s-70

Bought Volvo s-70 GLT in May.

over about 3000 miles got 30 mpg

service light came on, so

changed oil, air filter, oil filter, now gas mileage is about 25 mpg?

note, this is the insert type oil filter with plastic housing.

What could be the cause?

j.

Reply to
Say not the Struggle nought Availeth

get that filter back

surprised u got 30 mpg consistently. 25 26 maybe 27 for my car 1998

Reply to
squirrely

I have a '99 s-70 awd with 62k miles. The differential is going out and I am, needless to say very unhappy. Have others with similar vintage s-70 awd had similar experience? The dealer seems willing to try to pressure Volvo USA to cover the cost of parts--is this fair enough?

Reply to
Al Carlin

Hi, Al - - -

The wife's car is a '98 V70XC, but the awd components remained unchanged for '99. The mileage suggests a contributing problem of some kind - such as inadequate lubrication. *If* your friendly Dealer has been the Service provider, or if you can demo that the vehicle has been seen by someone who would notice a leak, your chances ought to be on the good side. It's pretty sure, though, that VNA is going to want some continuity of Service to resolve this problem.

I've been assuming that the differential in question is the one in the rear. If it's the front diff, there's even less excuse for premature death. The bevel gear (a part of the AWD system) will fail before problems in the rear can cause front side failure.

Good luck.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

Look at

and search for 'bevel gear' .... I presume this is the one you are referring too? Its the centre differential (aka the transfer box) and seems to be a known issue....

Alastair

Reply to
AB