Re: Gas mileage on a 98 Outback?

I have a 2002 OBW..... The beginning gas mileage was 25.... The service people put the air cleaner shroud cover on wrong allowing some air to by-pass the filter and my mileage went to 30 for 3-months until another service tech found the air cleaner cover not secured properly. This is a common problem. Those who are getting 30 mpg may just have this problem. I liked the idea of getting 30 mpg so I purchased a K&N filter element and now I get a consistent 30 mpg with the air cleaner cover properly installed.

For what its worth I get around 8.5 litres/100Kms highway and 11.5 >litres/100Kms city in my H6 Outback MY03 using 98 octane unleaded. > >This equates to 27.5mpg highway and 20.5mpg city using US gallons @ >3.785litres and 62.1 miles/100Kms. > >I think this is good for an auto 6 cylinder. A number of people in Oz >are using the 98 octane unleaded now as it is only 10% dearer than 91 >octane and the fuel economy is better. Typically I get between 7-10% >better economy than with standard 91 octane plus the added benefit of >quicker response. The 98 octane as supplied by Shell here also has an >injector cleaner included. > >Lance B
Reply to
David