Had a little mishap in my volvo this weekend, a soda can exploded

So I took a trip to the desert this weekend, and didnt even think about it, but I had a full unopened can of rootbeer in the front cupholder, well sometime during the day it exploded at the top and shot rootbeer all over the place.

We wiped it all off that we could see, and everything seemed to work just fine.

But last night when leaving the college, I turned on the headlights to the parking position and they were fine, then turned them to the headlamp position and the headlamps would NOT come on, and the parking lights turned off.

It seems if I turn the headlight switch to the parking lights, all is fine, but if I turn them to the headlight position, then no headlights come on and the parking lights turn off.

I then put the car in reverse and have no reverse lights. Im guessing that some of the rootbeer went into the gear selector lever area and Im guessing that there must be a reverse switch in there that is all gummed up now, but how would this affect the headlights?

The headlights worked the first night after the incident and even the second night, until I shut off the car, then turned it back on, and no headlights.

Any clues how this relates to each other?

There wasnt a whole lot of soda on the dash (very little really, couple drops here and there), and also very little on the front panel where the stereo is, most of it, it seems went up to the roof headliner, and on the seats, but I imagine quite a bit got into the shifter console.

Help is definately appreciated.

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058

I seem to remember you have an 850... so:

The power for parking lights doesn't go through the ignition switch in the parking light position, but does in the headlight on (and off if DRL) position. Thus they use a different fuse in these positions.

The reverse lights are switched by the infamous neutral switch that is mounted on the transmission, chances are no root beer got that far.

Reply to
Mike F