Replacing rear shocks - extra washers??

As above, I will be replacing the OEMs with Bilstein TCs. I have already purchased the matching shock mounts.

I have read about using extra washers - they say the single thick washer supplied by Bilstein is "not enough". What would be the purpose of the extra washers? How many would I need and where do I place them - above or below the shock mount? What kind of grade should I get? Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

You don't say what model/year you have but! I replaced the rear shocks on my

96 850 T with bilsteins and had to put a 3/8" flat washer about 3/32" - 1/8" thick under the upper nut. This was the only way the shock shaft would tighten in the Volvo mount. I would not worry about grade as its only a thin spacer. Hope this helps

John

Reply to
John

I have a 1998 S70 T5 with Bilsteins, and for the longest time I thought my spare tire was loose and was clunking around. When I finally took the time to look and do research, I found out that I could access the top of the shocks from my trunk. When I bounced the rear, I could see them moving around and making the sound. I had them add a few washers. It was definitely more than 1/8" as the previous guy mentioned, and it might have been excessive, but at least the sound is gone and I can drive hard again.

I am glad that I bought rear shock mounts too. When I took the old ones out, they looked brand new. However, from clunking around so much, the bolt hole had been widened into oblong holes. That just added to things.

The washers get installed right under the tightening nut. The Bilsteins came with a thick washer, and I would put the other washer(s) between that thick one and the nut.

mike

Reply to
Michael Chiu