HELP! Steering wheel locked!

The steering wheel of my 1989 Volvo 440 locked today. It simply won't move, and as a result the ignition doesn't turn. Has anyone tried this
before? What can I do?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A common fault. Remove the instrument cluster etc and take a chisel to the head-less bolts to remove the steering lock . You can order a new lock matching the doorlocks though a dealer
--
---
Marten Gerritsen
zencr is right. I had a similiar problem before. It is a little scary. Although, if you put your key in and then jiggle your steering wheel back and forth, your ignition should work. I would try that before anything else. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If you take the load of the steeringlock (turn wheel left or right) and with some judiciously juggling of the key you might get movement again.
So maybe you're lucky, in which case I would remove the lock pronto as per the manual.
But these locks fail catastrophically, so if you're unlucky, it takes the friendly man from the AA about an hour chiseling away in a car jammed in the middle of traffic ;)
--
---
Marten
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Put the key in, and using a bit of strength turn the wheel as far one way as possible, then try the key; if it doesn't work, turn it the opposite way and try it.
Do it a few times, should free up.