HELP! Steering wheel locked!

The steering wheel of my 1989 Volvo 440 locked today. It simply won't move, and as a result the ignition doesn't turn. Has anyone tried this before? What can I do?

Reply to
vszulc

A common fault. Remove the instrument cluster etc and take a chisel to the head-less bolts to remove the steering lock . You can order a new lock matching the doorlocks though a dealer

Reply to
M-gineering

Put the key in, and using a bit of strength turn the wheel as far one way as possible, then try the key; if it doesn't work, turn it the opposite way and try it.

Do it a few times, should free up.

Reply to
zencraps

Do you mean the lock that you put the key in, or is there some kind of lock on the steering wheel? Is there any place on the internet or any pictures anywhere of what you're talking about?

Thanks alot I really appreciate it...

Reply to
vszulc

Reply to
austjeremy

If you take the load of the steeringlock (turn wheel left or right) and with some judiciously juggling of the key you might get movement again.

So maybe you're lucky, in which case I would remove the lock pronto as per the manual.

But these locks fail catastrophically, so if you're unlucky, it takes the friendly man from the AA about an hour chiseling away in a car jammed in the middle of traffic ;)

Reply to
M-gineering