How much should a timing belt and 3 seals cost in parts and repairs

My service station replaced 3 seals and a timing belt as I was leaking oil like mad. What should the cost for labor and repairs? I paid $430.

Reply to
ajo

for what car, model, engine size etc etc????

Reply to
Mad Sad Dad

Costs of parts are different in different countries, I only state my costs.

On my 240 Turbo, I recently replaced the three front seals and also the gasket for the panel which holds the two lower seals. Parts cost me about US$37. A timing belt costs about US$13. This was in Sweden, where I happen to live. Since Volvo has a large market share here, I think parts are reasonable. The large share creates a market for non-orginal suppliers.

My prices are for Volvo original parts. The job took me a few hours, since I did a lot of cleaning. To get space to work, I drained the coolant and removed the cooler, which probably was not necessary. As a minimum you need to remove the fan, the V-belt pulleys and the transmission belt cover. Then you must remove the timing belt and the timing belt pulleys to get to the seals. An experienced mechanic can probably do this in 2 hours, including cleaning things up. Replacing the belt takes no extra time/effort if you do the front seals.

Now this was for front seals on a "classic Volvo" (200/700/900) four cylinder. The rear seal is a bit harder (removal of drive shaft/gearbox/clutch/flywheel).

Reply to
Gunnar Eikman

If you have a 240/700/900 I would refrain from going to that place again, the local Volvo independant did seals, belt and installed a VX cam for $350. I provided the cam. Dave Shannon daveshan_at_spamsoneonelse_cox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1988 240 DL 19X,XXX 1984 245 DL 20X,XXX 1984 245T 19X,XXX '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 14K
Dave Shannon

For someone who has done the job before I think that 2 hours is a fair amount of labor to charge. Maybe $50-60 for the parts. $430 sounds a bit high. My shop of choice, which is on the expensive side at $84/hr, quoted a friend about $400 for the timing and balance shaft belts on her 91 Accord EX. The Volvo (assuming it's a four cylinder 200, 700, or 900 series car that doesn't have the 16 valve engine) is much.. much.. much.. simpler and easier to get at.

If you're going to do it yourself, and it's the first time you've done it.. budget for about 4-5 hours.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

I got timing belt and front seals replaced for $350.00. My daughter had the work done in Melbourne Florida. She's off at school. You could probably do better.

Reply to
0.0