How often do you change your synthetic oil?

We buy our oil in 205 litre drums for use in tractors / plant etc. I spec an oil which is suitable for use in turbo diesels as well as petrol engines. The last lot was Exol. Its a 10w-40 G5 / CH4 mineral specification.

Have used Fina, Castrol and Esso in the past.

It doesnt really matter what brand it is, the spec is much more important.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

" Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and lost alot of stuff :(" skrev i meddelandet news:bujsh2$i3q$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com...

Do you talk about thin as piss when it's hot or cold? /per

Reply to
per

My BS detector is ringing full volume. What a baseless thing to say. Synthetics are no "thinner" than any other oil, they need to meet the same specs to get their viscosity rating. Since sythetics hold to their viscosity range through a larger range of temperatures they could be said to be thinner when it's sub zero and thicker if the summer heat/malfunction has taken the engine above it's normal operating range. That's a desirable thing.

Reply to
Spanky

A very interesting oil life study has been done and posted at:

One of the conclusions is that engine wear happens most rapidly in the first few thousand miles after an oil change, which has me doing a bit of head scratching.

This is one of the few published detailed oil life studies I have ever come across.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Thanks for the link (as well as the other one to get one's oil tested).

I haven't read the story yet, but if I were to guess... Could it be as a result of the oil change? Dra>

Reply to
Patrick

Reply to
Edward Hayes

You sure won't find any savvy people at the dealer...

P.S. What I do is turn off the fuel pump and let the eng>Engine savvy people fill the oil filter BEFORE replacing it on the engine.

Reply to
Patrick

Well the engine has been run on syntectichs at lest a couple oil changes a few years back. Recent years has been ordinary dino oil.

I really don't think the synthetics will cause any major, or any for that matter, oil leak from lots of places. The engine is not that old. By volvo standard it's barely broken in. Engine looks very clean inside, (under valve cover) so it can't be that much sludge build up that will clean out and cause oil leaks after switching to synthetics. When i cleaned the flame trap it didn't need cleaning so that's a good indication that the engine is also clean inside. Looking into the intake port it looks brand new.

91 940 167K.

Reply to
Joachim Østberg