How to tell when you need new brakes?

Hi -
I've got an '86 240dl... The brakes always squeak (they seem to on all Volvo's I've seen from this era)... How would one tell when new brakes
are needed?
- Stu
--
Note: Remove spamblocking tag and punctuation from e-mail address if
sending me messages directly!

They'll make a nasty metallic screech, ideally though you'd pull a wheel off and check the pad thickness.
Brakes squeel when they aren't done right, or when people use cheap metallic pads. When they're worn out, use some decent pads like PBR, make sure you install the shimms and use anti squeel compound. Properly done, 240 brakes are silent.

I must admit that I've never seen PBR pads. PBR is an Australian manufacturer of calipers, master cylinders, etc., but I've never seen it as a brand of pad.
Having had experience with a range of brands of brake pads, I've moved to using EBC "greenstuff" pads. These are the only decent pads I've found so far that meet the original friction factor specification for Volvo 2-series. I don't intend to ever fit Bendix pads to anything ever again - squeaking and making nasty grinding noises appears to be normal for their pads these days, and that applies to brand new pads on brand new discs in good working order...
--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

At that point you need a new mechanic, too.
--

Stewart Hargrave

For email, replace 'SpamOnlyToHere' with my name
Volvo's need original brakediscs and pads, otherwise they squeak. ! sorry
robert v70

This simply isn't so.
--

Stewart Hargrave

For email, replace 'SpamOnlyToHere' with my name
Well I have an S70 T5 with non original brake pads all round (APEC at the rear, can't remember at the front) and they don't squeak squeal or play up in any way... and as the APEC rears were only 13 a set (about $20) I'm not about to complain!
All you need to do is make sure ou use a good anti squeal compond on the back of the pad and fit new antisqueal shims.
A.