I think I fried my ignition

I have an 88 Volvo 240 wagon with 225K mi. My battery went dead in the cold weather here in the Northeast. I jumped the battery and it was OK. I brought it to a tire/battery shop, but they said they didn't have the right battery. Here's where I made my mistake: I should have told them to order a battery, but instead, I decided to take my chances with another repair shop. They gave me a jump, but when I left the shop the car stalled at the first traffic light and the battery went dead again. I called my wife and she came down and jumped the car battery, but now the engine turns over but there is no spark. So we pushed it back to the tire/battery place and told them to order a battery. They replaced the battery today, but the engine still won't start- it turns over, but there is no ignition. Did I fry my ignition? Can it be repaired? Could anybody give me an intelligent guess as to what may be wrong, and what would be needed to fix it? (I plan to have it towed to a mechanic, but they're not open until Tuesday, so any help would be appreciated). Thanks in advance.

- Gary

Reply to
Gary Smiley

Could be a coincidence, you could check the hall sensor in the distributor, and the fuse on the inner fender, and the ignition module.

Reply to
James Sweet