Installing electronic equipment?

I'm looking to put into my 2001 S80, a stero and new alarm system, amongst other things. Every shop I've talked to says they don't touch Volvos because of the complex electrical system. I did talk to one Volvo dealership that said the 2001 model's electrical system isn't as interdependent as the later models, but I certainly have no idea.

My question is whether there are any reputable shops, which can work with Volvos, on the East Coast? Being that I'm going to be driving south in a short while, *where* on the east coast doesn't really matter. Any further advice would also be greatly appreciated. Such as, if the new system doesn't work, and I put back the old system, would the computer still be wrecked from that? If so, could you "reset" the car's computer?

Thanks a lot!!

Reply to
ziphem

If a thief tries to defeat the immobilizer system that's already in the car it won't start or run. In fact, if you try to replace almost any part on the car other than the oil filter you have to phone home to the mother ship to get everything on the computer network to agree to communicate once again. Only then can you get the motor to start and run. If you just want a system that makes noise I'm sure the factory alarm system that just connects to the existing wiring is still available and last I checked it was reasonably priced.

As far as where you're going, it does matter. If you're not going to be in ir near a major metrropolitan market the likelihood of finding someone qualified or capable of working on the car can be very slim.

Bob

Reply to
User

Err why?

The S80 already comes with a very sophisticated immobilizer and alarm system, factory fitted. Nothing you could buy for less than ~500 notes would be a patch on the Volvo system.

Volvo's stereo's are regarded as about the best you'll get in a car of this size, so you wont improve on it unless you're spending serious dollars.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

speaking of s80 alarms....do any of yours just go off for "no apparent reason"?.....how do /have you handled this..?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

anybody add an ipod hook up to the s80? how did it work out" how is the sound quality?....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

That's good to know about the immobilization. The alarm system I want to install in fact isn't really an alarm system, it's one of those

2-way pager things, so if there's intrusion, I'm notified. I'm trying to decide between the Viper 791XV and the Scosche RSA2900F. Any reasons why one is better than the other?

As for a new stereo, I'm happy with the sound I have with the current stereo, but I want something that plays MP3s, since I'm converting all my audio CDs into MP3 format and putting them onto DVDs. Certain JVC units will play MP3s from DVDs, and that's exactly what I'm looking for (though unfortunately these JVC units don't have integrated GPS, damnit!). I talked with a shop that will just use an adapter of sorts to plug the aftermarket stereo into the Volvo's sound system. They do general Volvo repairs, and say they successfully do this on a moderate basis. There's no serious rewiring or whatnot, and they take care of the computer configuration, or so they told me, with installation being about 1 hour or so. If I get a good unit, I can't imagine my sound won't remain top quality...

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Do you have any info on one of these two-way pager systems? Thanks!

Reply to
ziphem