Is it possible to use a 10 to 15% mix of methanol in 1997 Volvos without any problems?

Hello,

I just found out that a local fuelling station sells methanol. Is it possible to use a 10 to 15% mix of methanol in 1997 850 Volvos without any problems to the fuel systems?

I had hoped that ethanol would be sold at my local fuelling station (along with the biodiesel they already sell); as ethanol would be much less likely to dmamge fuel systems than methanol.

With such high-gas prices, is 2.5 gallons (per fill-up) of methanol economical? I read that it is best to add ethanol/methanol before filling-up with regular 87 octance gasoline in order to assure the beast mixing of different fuels.

Thank-you

Reply to
justobservant

Shep

I would have to emphatically say no unless your owners manual specifically states that XX% methanol can be used. Methanol is nasty stuff, not something that one should casually mess around with.

It is, but only up to 10% typically.

Do you realize that methanol is highly toxic?

You may want to ponder why 'to go' coffee cups have lids on them.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Ethanol, not Methanol.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Here in Portland, Oregon all the gas stations sell a 10% of alcohol with their gas during the cooler months.

Supposed to combat air pollution.

No real problems noted with it.

Reply to
zencraps

It's not methanol. (there is a BIG difference)

Supposed to...

Your considerations aren't broad enough.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Meth is nasty, dangerous stuff. It will eat the aluminum out of your engine. It takes special equipment to use it. Stay away from it. It is difficult to wash off and it is skin adsorbent. Even the exhaust vapors are dangerous unless catalyzed.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

That would be an excellent question to pose to your local Volvo dealer.

Reply to
John S.

Hah, the chances that anyone at your local dealer would really know what the technical issues are an how well a '97 Volvo is or is not suited for dealing with methonal is almost zero. Sure you will find people there who will answer the question, but what makes you think the answer will be well founded ?????

JOhn

Reply to
John Horner

Depends whether it's a diesel and you're making biodiesel from waste frying oil. If so, you'll need methanol as part of the processing, and it'll be used at a rate of 10% of the final fuel quantity made. If not, methanol should not be used.

Reply to
athol

Usually it is possible to use 10% metho. but is any hight concentrations are used then the tubing in the fuel pipes needs to be replaced to be compatible with metho

Reply to
Milanjot

Well said...you might get an answer but it is likely to just be an opinion.

I don't think it is too wise to use methanol in this application, but it has little to do with the toxicity:

- Methanol will mix with gasoline only if it is rather anhydrous. A little water and the mixture falls apart. Ethanol is much better, isopropanol is better still, etc.

- Methanol will attack some metals with the formation of metallic methoxides. The higher alcohols do it too, but apparently less readily.

Get accustomed to paying higher prices for gasoline.....or driving less....or getting a more economical ride. While there is no physical petroleum shortage at the moment, the prices are being forced up by speculation in the market.

There is a concentrational shortage of petroleum products, and in the nearing future, I believe the shortages will become physically real.

Reply to
<HLS

I think the chances of his getting an informed and accurate answer to a technical question about the use of modified fuels in an older car are far far better at a dealer than they are on a news group.

Reply to
John S.

=============================================================>I think the chances of his getting an informed and accurate answer to a

"Used Car Salesman" is a derogatory epithet when used in the USA.

I would rather google newsgroups.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

When we bought our '85 (used) the dealer warned us not to put methanol blended fuel in the tank - ethanol and MTBE were okay.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I disagree, especially in this forum where there are some top-level gurus. Few if any dealers have the expertise and experience available here. You just have to be able to vet information.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
Shep

I didn't know that about aluminum, but wikipedia concurs: "One of the drawbacks of methanol as a fuel is its corrosivity to some metals, including aluminium. Methanol, although only a weak acid, attacks the oxide coating that normally protects the aluminium from corrosion: 6CH3OH + 2Al ? 2Al3+ + 6CH3O- + 3H2 The resulting methoxide salts are soluble in methanol, so the corrosion continues until the metal is eaten away."

Considering your cylinder head is aluminum and it is exposed to raw fuel, methanol sounds like an exceptionally bad thing to put in your tank.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

In addition to what's already been posted about the corrosive effects, will you really save money? What does 2.5 gal of methanol cost? And how much mileage per gallon will you lose by using methanol? The is not likely a real cost savings at work here, so unless you have a reference that says otherwise, you really shouldn't do it.

Reply to
raconte

Hmm... the punctuation didn't survive the copy and paste! Maybe this is Martian chemistry notation.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee