BA-10 to AX-15 in 87 YJ

Der Franch BA-10 Phewgoe has 140K on it and it is living in the YJ hospice for just a short time yet. Is the conversion to an AX-15 just an unbolt, drop out turdmission, bolt new AX in and head for swamp? Or is there more to it? Ohh, furgot first step of pay big bucks for low mileage unit only driven by minister during solar eclipse periods; second step - buy case of Melican beer; third step - invite rectocentric buddies over to watch; fourth step - get them to recognize that i am waaay too old & stupid to do job myself... then have them unbolt, drop out turdmission, bolt new AX in and head for swamp.

TIA mj

Reply to
Mike

That's about it, except if you're like me, it is way too much trouble to get idiot buddies to do anything right, so pay a shop or do it yourself. Do you really want to get a heart attack or a stroke yelling at your pals, because they don't understand something as obvious as the noses on their own faces?

It is some kind of Jeep Week up here in Silverton, and all the trailer queens are in town, including some rigs that apparently could only get road plates in Mississippi or Chihuahua. Somebody better tell these clowns what could happen if they drive around all day with the rear window open.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Not really a drop-in. The BA 10/5 has a different output shaft than the AX15 so you have to swap the tc input shaft. Y=The AX15 also uses a larger pilot shaft on th front, so the pilot bushing has to be swapped as well. You may also run into the need to swap in a new tc mount in the rear. Were it me, I'd go ahead and do the external salve conversion while I was at it - I did and have been glad I did a couple of times. You can also plan on some creative work on the tc shifter - the mount point is a little different on the tranny side.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

"External salve conversion"?

(1994 and newer models used an external slave bell housing that is a lot more convenient.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for ALL the input. Mister L.W.H. nailed it with the link to the article. Just the fact that a 73 CJ5 304 3 speed pilot bearing will do the job is worth a zillion hours of research. Nuff changes to make me think twice about the NP435 4 speed and NP 205 xfer case just laying in the garage. Both have only 18K miles, but the drop on the 205 goes the wrong way.

Thanks aga>

Mike

This guy has some info and parts for the NP435 conversion.

Do you have a big press? Just pop the tubes out of your front axle, switch them, and you will be ready for the 205.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton