Is my turbo gone?

1991 940, car has severe lack of power and no boost on the dash gauge. After removing the intake ducts, hoses, etc, I can feel but cannot turn what
I assume to be the compressor inside the inlet housing. Two questions:
Should I be able to reach inside the turbo inlet and immediately find the compressor blades; is there anything elses such as static vanes in there?
Should I be able to turn the compressor blades with my hand; i.e. minimal effort?

You should find a shaft with the compressor blades on it.

They should spin freely with minimal wobble.
Sounds like you need a rebuild.
Gary
--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net

Windows is like SUVs; a bad idea, poorly implemented, unsafe, with a
That's what I have assumed-any tips on a rebuild? The turbo is a t25, which I understand is not too common. Is it possible/feasible/inexpensive to obtain a rebuild kit rather than an entire unit? I am concerned that the exhaust outlet may be cracked as a consequence of this event (overheating...)-is that something with which to concern myself?

[ ... ]
Turbo International lists a cartridge available for the T25; their site doesn't like my browser settings, though, so you'll have to check on the price for yourself. That's not the cheapest approach, but is by far the easiest rebuild option.
They also have rebuild kits and individual parts, if you're more adventurous.
    http://www.turbointernational.com/products2.shtml
I've priced a cartridge for my T-II RX-7 at $495, yours will probably be less (RX-7 parts are expensive).
A cartridge is the guts of the turbo; basically, you take the housings off the old turbo and mount them on the new cartridge, making sure they're aligned correctly, and reinstall on the car.
Gary
--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net

Windows is like SUVs; a bad idea, poorly implemented, unsafe, with a

which
I would recommend a cartridge or complete turbo swap for the inexperienced, even to swap the cartridge you'll need a propane torch, some penetrating solvent, decent wrenches, and some luck to prevent bolts from snapping off.
Yes you should reach the veins easily and they/it should turn with no resistance,your instincts are serving well the impeller bearings are seized. Usually an oil supply failure.
nobody wrote:

seized.
Which brings another point to mind, always use a *new* oil supply line when replacing a turbo cartridge.