Volvo 144S needs new floor

I have a Volvo 144S in the family since we bought it new in 1969. It only has 50,000 miles on it and runs good. However, the underside of the car is almost gone. Some local shops won't even touch it. Are there any low cost alternatives to strenghten or replace the floor? Does this car have any antique value?

Sherwin Dubren

Reply to
sherwindu

Bill Chaplin

I rebuilt a rotted floor one time using sheet metal, aluminum studding and sheet metal screws. Came out well, passed all state inspections and lasted longer than the rest of the car.

Danny

Reply to
Danny

I second that. Sheet metal (an old car hood), pop rivet gun, tin snips and a drill.

Mike aka Terrible Ted

Danny wrote:

Reply to
mike

Also get some of the rust converting primer (I got some from/by/called marhyde i think, from J.C. WHitney [it was for my '48 Chrysler, not the Volvo], and a gallon can of brush-on undercoating. After cleaning it all up and removing the bad metal, use the primer. Then make an inner and outer panel to cover the bad eares and make a sandwich with a liberal amount of undercoating between. When that is in place (use steel pop rivets) liberally undercoat it inside and out. The stuff can be put on with a putty knife and the patches can be easily hiddden that way.

from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.