Is VOLVO's XC90 SUV based on any one of GM's SUV body styles?

Not at all.

The XC90 was the first vehicle approved of when Ford took over, but the design work was still all Volvo.

Don't think Volvo ever had connections with GM... If you want to see a Swedish SUV that is based on a GM vehicle look at the upcoming Saab 9-7, it's based on the Trailblazer.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Read somewhere that the original S80's tranny came from GM.

Reply to
Paul

No, it's based on Volvo's car platform, S80 etc. And the S80 T6 transmission is indeed the GM 4T65LE. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the XC90 T6 transmission is also the same GM transmission, modified for the power takeoff to the rear wheels.

Reply to
Mike F

Yes it did... BMW also buys trannys from GM (some of it's automatics). GM has quite a good spinoff company that makes transmissions.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

That's too bad. We have a Blazer with the 700R4 tranny, and I don't think much of it at all They are good for about 100,000-125,000 miles or so and that's about it.. At least in my experience. One of the reasons we ruled out purchasing another GM product and ended up with the Volvo. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

No, not in any direct way. Ford owns Volvo.

John

Reply to
John Horner

It isn't a spinoff company, it is an entirely GM owned, operated and managed division called GM Powertrain. It's main mission is sourcing engines and transmissions for GM vehicles, but has also sold transmissions to other companies for many decades. Jaguar and Rolls Royce, for example, used GM Turbo Hydramatics for years.

John

Reply to
John Horner

John

Reply to
John Horner

Don't worry, your 960 (and every other 960) don't use a GM transmission. All 960 inline 6 cylinder engines use the Asian Warner transmission. (So do 850s, but they've proven to be not a reliable as the rear drive versions.)

Reply to
Mike F

But Volvo is now owned by Ford. So why are they using GM parts? Walter Wise

Reply to
WPWise

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Is VOLVO's XC90 SUV based on any one of GM's SUV body styles? I might be mistaken- but I 'saw' a few vehicles that look very very similar to the XC90? Any opinions?

Reply to
FEDUP

So- Is the Volvo SUV's body based off a FORD SUV?

Reply to
FEDUP

It's Saab that has a GM Based SUV coming out soon.

Reply to
MACampbel

How the heck would I know. Ask Volvo or Ford!

John

Reply to
John Horner