J Sweet: good news

I fixed the no-idle problem with the brothers' 92 740 gas/turbo wagon. A new crankshaft/speed sensor did not fix it at all. So I thought, you know, a no-idle condition could be caused by a air/vacuum leak. So when I checked it, it had only 12 in at 3000RPM! So I checked everything around the intake manifold. Underneath....COMPLETLY out of sight, I found that the approx. 1 in dia air hose going back to the manifold from the air control valve had come apart where it was joined together with a metal nipple. HUGE LEAK of unmetered air!Those motorheads that installed the engine before we bought it only put tie-wraps on it to hold both sides of the air hose on! Put it back together, and now it runs fine...at least sitting still. Of course I really still have to resolve the timing issue...the cam pulley is just set experimentally to where I got it to run. So if it pings or runs poorly on the road, I'll know why. He is talking about selling the car to me for $500. (I need a second car) I don't know....I know too much about the condition of this car. On the other hand, there is not $250 a month for a new or low-miles/nearly new car.

James, it is needing a new speedo sender....the one driving the speedometer (in differential). The on-line supppliers I checked want about $90 for one (ouch!). The pathetic salvage yards here don't have one. Even if they did, they would check how much a new one is, and price it only a litle less than that! Any ideas?

Thanks for your input, geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

Are you *sure* the sensor is bad? I've seen the wiring crumble, but I've

*never* seen the sensor fail, or even heard of one failing.
Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
geronimo