Just found an underpriced '91 740 with 115,000. Is it worth it?

Hi Gang I need your collective knowledge and opinions again. I am trying to replace my wonderful (but totaled) '87 740 turbo. I found a'91 non turbo w/auto trans in a lot near by. For me the turbo is not necessary. The car looks good. No bends from crashes that I can tell. It's the base model with the hand crank roof and I am amazed at how good the interior looks! Like a car only a few years old..

Anyway, I looked on Kelly Blue Book and it was valued at about $5,000. Which did seem a bit high. The lot only wants $3,995.

The A/C has dye around the filler valve and the SRS light stays on on the dash. I know the A/C is a potential big budget repair but I don't have a clue about SRS. And, I'm trying to figure out if I can be happy with fewer features than my old Turbo had... Hand cranking the roof... Man, was I spoiled! If anyone has any experience with this year/model. Or knows of problems with systems, such as A/C, Transmission, SRS could you mention it?

Thanks for any help Don B.

Reply to
Don B.

You didn't mention your geographic area, which matters. I can tell you this, $3995 is an "asking* price and with the SRS light on I'd offer them about $2500. Now if that seems insane to you consider this?. I made my living for 5 years selling used cars, and even if we only paid $900 for some car, we *always* marked it up $2000, it's standard operating procedure for the most part. They'll take the $2500, but they will make you work for it. They'll say ? "Oh no we could never do that why we could wholesale it for $3250 and try and make you feel like a fool. They will try every dirty manipulative underhanded lying sorry trick they can. Bottom line is not one of those guys gets paid a dime till you buy a car. Stick to your guns, look on ebay completed auctions, do you HOMEWORK, and then go buy a good car, WORTH THE MONEY, and by the way the Kelly Blue Book you reference is in the car business known as a "selling tool".... oK? I know it's on the net it's still a seeling tool. You can buy '90, '91, etc740s all day long for under 3k. It's a SELLING TOOL

What gets me is people never wake up to the car dealer bullshit. I am amazed when year after year they feature a suited idiot on the TV swearing by God you can buy a car for "No money down and ONLY $199.00 per month..." Right, thats why I got out of it, I prefer honest ways to make a living.

On 11 Aug 2003 16:25:58 -0700, Don B. wrote:

Reply to
Steve J.