Is it worth it???

Hi All,

Just trying to decide whether or not to replace the chassis on my 1992

90 200 Tdi or sell it and get another - possibly a 1995 / 1996 300Tdi??? The problems as I see them are: 1. Is it economically viable? 2. Is No 1 worth thinking about?! 3. Am I better off mending what I know is otherwise good 4. Time & Space - Have i enough spare of both!

Ive already plated is a few times for the MOT (last year) and now its generally thin in more places than its not. Key areas for concern at the moment are around where the rear A frame attaches (chassis rails are de-laminating here) and similarly under the seatbox forward to towards the bulkhead.

Rear Cross member is OK, Engine is good although its done 145,000 miles. Gearbox and T. Box are OK (though I would probably put recon units in whilst they where out). Axles, diff's, suspension etc are good. Body work is structurally in good nick.

From a time point of view - would anybody like to have a stab at how long it would take to do it on an evening and weekend basis?

Also, does the MOT cause the biggest worry to a soft chassis or off-roading? To some degree what the tester doesnt see he isnt bothered about. Harsh off-roading however will put stress and torsional effects into any chassis - hi-lighting any weakness.

Thoughs / advice / experiances please.

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

this is just my opinion blah blah blah...

if it were not for my family pushing me for a more car-like vehicle (and dammit they are pushing hard) I'd be keeping my 1984 110 csw and replacing it's chassis and bulkhead with galvanized examples and replacing the engine and gearbox with a 200tdi and lt77 completely stripped and rebuilt as-if new, this combined with a recon transfer box and recon axles and a load of soundproofing would see an outlay going on £10k which would get me a land rover needing only regular maintenance for the next 20 years assuming I don't break anything off-road. a good investment in my opinion. As for MOT's as long as it's serviced properly I'd not expect MOT's to be much of a worry as at the moment the only MOT concerns I have are the old and worn engine being a bit smokey and the holes in the steel bits, both of these concerns would be dealt with. it is my opinion that a land rover chassis and indeed major components will not have their life notably shortened notably by fairly tough off-road conditions with the obvious exceptions of what I'd term 'damage'.

however in my case the next green ovel in the house will be a early

1990's V8 disco on LPG which I have budgeted £5k for, the sale of the 110csw will fund the 'extras' and it'll be getting a jolly thorough waxoyling (not by me though, I'm not that daft).

I hope that waffle has some relevance, to sum-up I like to consider my vehicles as long-term purchases (10 years or so) and an old land rover with galvanised steel bits and a solid engine is going to last very very well.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Not if you pay someone to do the work.

You're doing this already ;-)

I would break it for spares. What you know is that the chassis is

*dangerously* compromised on a 13 year old vehicle. What I cannot quite understand is how it got to this state in such a relatively short time. My hard worked '84 example has a pristine chassis apart from one or two mid mounted outriggers getting a bit thin. Maybe its the cowshit that preserves it? LOL

Make space! As it is, it is worth almost bugger all. If it is given a new chassis then at least you could use it for a good while to justify the cost to yourself. If it is broken for spares then at least you will eventually clear a good income from it if you can be bothered.

Don't be emotional when making a decision about a mass produced lump of metal which can be easily replaced by something better.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Yep, agree with all the above.

When you replace the chassis you are effectively breaking the vehicle anyway. So if all the other bits are new and known good, a new chassis might be a better option than another second-hand vehicle with unknown problems (and you can guarantee there would be _some_, you just don't know what).

If, as I suspect, the rest of the vehicle is 13 years old too then cut your losses and upgrade the whole lot. It will make more financial sense. If you want the challenge and a vehicle to keep forever in a permanent state of rolling restoration, personalised and as a matter of pride, stick a galvanised chassis on it. Budget for a new bulkhead too, as that is probably just as rotten as the chassis. Then add another 25-50% for all the other bits you are going to find wanting during the rebuild.

I paid 2 grand for my S2 rechassis job. Was it worth it? Not even nearly. Is the vehicle now a wonderful example of a Series Landy? Nope. Would I do it again? In an instant. That's Land Rovers for you....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:29:20 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

I dunno - I had to patch my 110 (C-plate) before it's last MOT with me. Back main rails, where they have that silly dip in 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I put a galvanised chassis on my 1986 90. Bulkhead needed a few minor repairs. Worth the cost and effort? Definately. Should last years. Have a look:

Richard

Reply to
Richard

A problem I have is that I dont know how bad they can get before they are buggered!

I replaced one of the front outriggers last year for the MOT and added a patch to the underside of one or the rails. I am fairly certain it will want another patch on the other side this June / July for the MOT. Appart from that there are no holes in it, but it does sound quite thin as you tap along the rails.

What would be good is if you guys that know about these things tell me it should last another 10 years "sounding thin"!!!

How long should / would you expect a UK based 90 chassis last??

Also, is there a more preffered supplier - design-a-chassis or Richards??

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

After rolling about underneath and a god amount of prodding, feeling and looking at the chassis yesterday I went to the local MOT place and asked the guy to take a look.

After more prodding and poking he announced, to my relief, that he will be happy with 2 patches (one largeish one and a little one).

So in the interest of "our" bank account the chassis will remain patched for another year, or at least until it has to be changed.

Thanks for the advice though. If / when this subject comes up again, assumin all thing being equal, I think I will change the chassis and keep what I have - it would seem a shame to let someone else get a generally bloody good, well kept landrover with just a crap chassis.

Thanks. Jon

Reply to
Jon