Non Volvo oil filter in V70

I have read that replacing a Volvo 850's oil filter with a non-Volvo part can cause problems as there is/should be a non-return valve as in the Volvo filter. Not having the valve causes the oil to drain away from the hydraulically cuishioned tappets overnight, etc.., causing excessive noise and presumably wear on start-up. Is this also the case with the V70's oil filter, i.e. has to have a non-return valve fitted? I have used a none Volvo one and did not notice such a valve.

Many thanks,

John Lowe

Reply to
John Lowe

Any top quality oil filter of the correct fitment should have this valve. Mann, Bosch Premium (sold at AutoZone), Wix and NAPA Gold are all highly regarded aftermarket filters.

John

Reply to
John Horner

when did volvo switch to the cartridge-style oil filter? it was before '02, because mine is. my older volvos only get wix filters, but not the new one...

Reply to
wah

The new style filter started in 1999 with the exclusion of the 5 cylinder non-turbos, which got the new style filter the next year. (I'm not sure about the S40, we didn't have them then.) The idea is there's less waste with each oil change, but I'm not sure if that's true if you count the extra cleaner that's used to clean the cannister on the new type.

Reply to
Mike F

Not true, the valve your referring to is called an "Anti Drain Back Valve". Neither the OEM or aftermarket Volvo cartridge or spin on oil filters have a anti-drainback valve, they are not needed due to the angle the filter is mounted on the engine. Anti-drainbacks are only needed when the filter is mounted at an angle where it is possible for the oil to drain out of the filter when the engine is shut down. The filters that have anti-drainbacks will also have the letter "A" in the part number such as fram PH3593A. One interesting side note, all Volvo gasoline engines have used the same oil filter number since the 1950's till they switched to the cartridge type in

1999. Other manufacturers have used as many as a dozen different numbers to all do same thing(filter the oil).

Reply to
filter man

Volvo's spin on filters certainly do have anti drain back valves. They're not needed on the engines that have them mounted upright like the 850, but are needed on the older engines from the "red block" family where they're mounted on their side. This common spin on filter was first used in the B18 engine, introduced in 1961 on the 1962 models.

Reply to
Mike F